Greek Briefs

Alpha Epsilon Pi gains IFC recognition
The Interfraternity Council granted the Kappa Deuteron chapter of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity probationary associate membership April 16.

“We were surprised and happy to see such a strong group of guys emerge so fast,” IFC President Norman Pentelovitch said. “We’re excited to have them on board.”

AEPi officials said they hope their national goals will have a strong influence on campus.

“Nationally, our goals are to promote Jewish leaders, Jewish culture and ideals and promote Israel,” said Ben Block, AEPi president.

IFC officials said they are pleased with the ideals Alpha Epsilon Pi represents and are confident the fraternity will have a positive impact on the GW community.

“I think they represent a new interest in fraternity groups and a new, positive image of Greek life,” Pentelovitch said. “Their strong Jewish values and focus on Israel fill a niche not currently filled by other fraternities on campus.”

While the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity left campus in 1999 after the national organization did not feel the group properly represented the organization, the fraternity re-colonized at GW in October.

Now, with about 40 members, fraternity members said they look forward to receiving their charter next spring.

“We are thrilled,” said Block. “It has been one of our biggest priorities to be a part of GW Greek life.”

<i<-Elizabeth Chernow