Varsity Roundup

Golf team ties for second at Rehoboth
The GW golf team placed second in a 15-team field Monday and freshman Brian Carroll tied for second individually at the Rehoboth Beach Spring Invitational in Rehoboth Beach, Del.

The host Colonials shot a combined 616, placing them seven strokes behind first-place U.S. Naval Academy and 12 strokes ahead of third-place Columbia University.

Carroll shot a 146 in the two-round tournament, good for two over par at Kings Creek Country Club, which hosted the event. He tied three other players, all of whom finished two strokes behind Villanova’s Henry Watson. The second-place finish was Carroll’s best since he won the Lehigh Tournament in October.

GW freshmen Andrew Gallo and Federico Guzman also placed in the top 10. Gallo shot 152 to tie for seventh while Guzman shot 153 to tie for 10th.

Seniors Brad Friedlander and Reid Rosenthal rounded out the Colonial lineup, shooting 165 and 172, respectively. Friedlander’s score placed him in a tie for 42nd while Rosenthal tied for 64th.

Earlier in the day, freshman Dan Mirabella was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week after shooting an even par 72 Saturday to tie for third at Wild Quail Country Club. The award came one week after Guzman shared the same honor with Fordham’s Jesse Clark.

GW’s next tournament is April 25-26 at the URI-Newport Invitational in Middletown, R.I.

-Jeff Nelson

Softball shut out for second-stright double header
The GW softball team’s struggles continued Wednesday as it dropped both games a doubleheader to Bucknell in Lewisburg, Pa. Once again the Colonial’s offense sputtered as they failed to score a run for the fourth game in a row. GW managed only five hits, losing 7-0 and 8-0 respectively, dropping the Colonials record to 2-25.

The combined efforts of Bucknell pitchers Lauren Box, Julie Williams and Kimberly Grunwald shut down any attempted Colonial offensive attack. It was more of the same on the other side of the ball as Colonial pitchers freshman Elana Meyers and sophomore Jaclyn Sanderson were done no favors by a youthful Colonial defense which combined for five errors in the two games.

Over the two games, Sanderson pitched seven and two-thirds innings, giving up six runs on 13 hits, while Meyers pitched two and a third giving up five runs on four hits.

The Colonials squandered their only chance to score on the day in the second game of the double header, when senior Alison Scimeca and sophomore Maggie Landgrebe hit back to back singles in the second inning. Yet, the Colonials could not convert, leaving both runners stranded at the corners.

The Colonials will once again try to snap their mounting losing streak Tuesday at 3 p.m. in a doubleheader against George Mason at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex.

-Anthony Moniello