Bats break Colonials out of four-game funk

The GW baseball team got back on track this week, ending a four-game losing streak with wins over Maryland-Baltimore County and Penn State University.

GW (21-11, 1-5 Atlantic 10) took Tuesday’s game at UMBC 9-4 and beat Penn State 11-6 Wednesday.

“If we hit then we win,” GW head coach Tom Walter said. “This past weekend we couldn’t hit. We made some adjustments today and did much better.”

The Colonials never trailed Penn State, jumping out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning on a solo shot to left field from senior Chris Barry. GW added three runs in the third on junior Jeff Fertitta’s two-run double and sophomore Ryan Roberson’s RBI single.

Barry and senior Travis Crowder each hit RBI singles in the fourth and Fertitta had a sacrifice fly that gave GW a 7-0 lead.

The Nittany Lions jumped back in the game with three runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to cut the GW lead to 7-6, but this was as close as they would get.

The Colonials broke open the game in the sixth when Roberson hit a two-run double to make the score 9-6. Sophomore Brad Rosenblat added GW’s final two runs on a sacrifice fly in the sixth and a solo home run in the eighth.

Despite the Colonials’ strong offensive performance, Walter said it was the defense of sophomore third baseman Geoff Milsom that kept GW in the lead.

“We were strong on defense today. We had no errors,” he said. “Geoff Milsom made at least four outstanding plays out there.”

Sophomore reliever Avi Rasowsky got the win in relief, pitching three and a third innings while giving up one hit and no runs.

GW 9, UMBC 4

Tuesday, April 15

A five-run, two-out rally in the seventh inning sparked a 9-4 GW victory Tuesday at Maryland-Baltimore County. Sophomore Brad Rosenblat knocked in three runs to lead a balanced offensive attack while junior reliever Dennis Gramolini was credited with the win.

“We really broke out tonight offensively and got quality pitching,” Walter said after the game. “It was a good day.”

After being swept by Xavier last weekend, GW started off sluggishly against UMBC, going scoreless for six innings while picking up only five hits. But the team came alive in the seventh, scoring five runs on five hits.

Travis Crowder started the rally with a two-out double and later scored on a Chris Barry double. A single by Rosenblat and three UMBC throwing errors helped round out the scoring in the inning.

Sophomore starter Nate CasaGrande pitched five scoreless innings before surrendering four runs (three earned) in the bottom of the sixth. Gramolini came in to get the last out of the inning and held UMBC scoreless the rest of the way.

“Nate gave us a good quality start,” Walter said. “He had one tough inning but he pitched well enough to win. We just didn’t score for him.”

Solid pitching and defense kept GW close until the bats came around to win the game, Walter added, noting two key assists from senior Tony Dokoupil in left field.

GW added four insurance runs in the ninth, capped off by a two-run homer by Rosenblat, his third hit of the game. Barry added three hits and Crowder and Fertitta each had two, helping GW total 16 on the day.

The Colonials return home to host Duquesne for a three-game series starting Saturday at noon at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.