AROUND CAMPUS

D.C. high school students receive full GW scholarships
The University gave seven D.C. public high school seniors full scholarships to GW on Friday. The Stephen Joel Trachtenberg Scholarship awards are given out annually and renewed each year if students meet GW’s academic progress standards.

The scholarships provide for tuition, room and board, books and fees.

Recipients are chosen based on class rank, GPA, SAT score, course of study, teacher recommendations, leadership qualities, community service and other extracurricular activities and achievements.

One student from the School Without Walls was among the recipients.
-Julie Gordon

FTP sponsors Earth Week events
In honor of Earth Day April 22, campus environmental group Free the Planet will sponsor a week of events. Each night of the week, the Western Presbyterian Church, at 24th and G streets, will host speakers from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Speakers from the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and other groups will be lecturing all week. The week will culminate in an Environmental Action Fair from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday in the Marvin Center 301 and 302.
-Kate Stepan

Professor receives Fulbright grant
Janet Steele, associate professor in the school of Media and Public Affairs, will travel to Indonesia in May on a Fulbright Senior Specialists grant in communications and journalism.

The program gives out grants to American academics and professionals to support curricular and faculty development and institutional planning at institutions in more than 140 countries.

Steele will teach narrative journalism at Institut Studi Arus Informasi, the institute for the study of the free flow of information, in Indonesia. She also plans to assist ISAI in developing a journalism curriculum and building links with SMPA while on her 17-day study.

Event recounts Gujarat violence
The Islamic Alliance for Justice will hold a discussion “Massacres in the Land of Gandhi: Revisiting Gujarat” Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m. in Marvin Center 307.

Speakers will discuss the events leading up to the massacres and the aftermath, including the future of a secular India.

Suma Josson’s film “Gujarat: Laboratory of Hindu Rashtra,” will also be shown.

SA talks diversity
Freshmen looking to speak their minds about diversity on campus can join the Student Association Diversity Affairs Commission Wednesday night for a free dinner and discussion.

The “Freshman Speak Out” evening is a place for first-year students to voice their concerns about how to improve diversity at GW.

The event will take place in Marvin Center 310 from 6 to 8 p.m.

Voices For Choices hosts Safer Sex Party
Voices For Choices will hold its second annual Safer Sex Party Tuesday night in the Thurston Hall Piano Lounge from 8:30 to 10: 30 p.m.

Students will have the opportunity to talk to local clinic representatives about safer sex and sexually transmitted infections. Free condoms, food and information will be available.

Book signing focuses on female aggression
Rachel Simmons, author of the book “Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls,” will discuss the nature of female relationships in America Monday evening. Followed by a book signing, the event will take place in the Marvin Center Amphitheater from 8 to 9 p.m. Admission to the event is free.
-Julie Gordon