SA Senate Notes

Moss resigns SA seat
Sen. Dan Moss (U-SBPM) announced Tuesday that he declined to accept a fourth term as senator. In a letter to the Senate, Moss, who currently chairs the Finance Committee, cited “time constraints” and a desire “to take on new leadership opportunities” as his primary reasons for leaving.

In an interview Wednesday afternoon, Moss said he will remain active on campus next year.

“I’m still president of Pi Kappa Alpha,” he said. “And, I’m going to maintain my position in the College Republicans as well as my internship at the White House. I hope to be able to work on the 2004 campaign.”

Moss said he was unsure who would replace him as Finance Committee chair.

“It’s hard to say who at this point,” he said. “There’s been some talk about either Karen Gagnon (U-SPHHS) or Mohammed Ali (U-CCAS). Both are friends, and I really can’t come out behind one or the other at the moment.”

Moss said he was somewhat cautious about SA President Phil Robinson’s SA endowment plan, which would give the SA more money through increased corporate sponsorship.

“Of course any way to increase the SA’s funding should be explored. But I would be a little wary of large sums coming in too quickly,” he said. Moss did not elaborate.

Moss is expected to serve for the remainder of this year’s legislative session before his resignation takes effect.

SA to reclaim funds
The Senate passed a bill Tuesday to transfer all funds student organizations have not used this year to the SA’s “buffer fund.” Reclamation will take effect at April 23 at 7 p.m.

Student organizations must submit all receipts by this time in order to be reimbursed.

-Thane Tuttle

SA meeting prompts Strong Hall changes
The University will be adding additional lighting and an emergency telephone behind Strong Hall, campus security officials said Wednesday.

John Petrie, assistant vice president for public safety and emergency management, said his office was working to get the fixtures installed after students requested the changes at an SA town hall meeting this year.

“This is a direct response to student concerns,” said Petrie, who thanked the SA for its help with the initiative.

-Alex Kingsbury