Music and martinis

Chick-Fil-A? Sushi? Burger King? Sometimes food at J Street just doesn’t cut it. While you may encounter the random singing frat boy at Taco Bell, to get the real deal, you must get off campus. Where do you go for singing and dining? Mimi’s American Bistro.

Andy Shallal opened this Dupont Circle restaurant in 2000. While the restaurant boasts good food, this eatery’s focus is entertainment. Entrees at Mimi’s take second to the singing servers, who entertain throughout the evening, starting at about 7 p.m.

The lighting in Mimi’s is low, the bar is small and patrons are welcomed by a large grand piano in the center of the restaurant. The tiny bar on the right can accommodate about six people and the four tables on the left are usually full, so come hungry and sit in the main dining room.

If you can take your eyes away from the piano in the center, the decorations on the walls show this restaurant is all about peace, love and entertainment. The walls are covered with framed artwork, and the price tag on each says everyone can take a little piece of Mimi’s home. Above the art is a huge Code PINK banner, letting patrons know while Mimi’s may be about love, it’s not for President Bush or the war.

This low-lit decor may seem common, but two oddities make the restaurant unique. First, a high-mounted television shows live footage of the chefs working at the grill. The real distraction is the mural of naked people, pubic hair and all. Get seated facing this birthday suit party and you won’t be paying much attention to your date; you’ll spend the evening staring at the explicit orgy.

Mimi’s serves a full bar with an extensive martini menu. These “chic-tinis,” as the wait staff dubs them, are fruity concoctions, not the martinis served to hardcore drinkers. Chic-tinis give a little color, some fruity flavors and $9 price. The Floridian (made of orange and pineapple juice, sour mix and orange vodka) and Disco Daze (a lemonade blend that is bright blue) are just a few. For the wild girls, there are the Cosmopolitan, the Mae West and the Oranj Orgasm, and all three are well worth the disapproving look of Alexander Hamilton on each 10-dollar bill you have to fork over. Make sure to ask for the martini menu so you don’t miss out.

If you aren’t there for a liquid lunch, start with an appetizer. The food here is general restaurant fare. Appetizers are priced from $5 to $12 and are easily shared. The stuffed potato skins need a little oomph. But the yogurt cheese bruschetta and grilled eggplant are good bets. The best pick is the grilled chicken lavosh quesadilla. With a little initiative, though, this quesadilla could be made on a dorm room George Foreman grill.

Entrees at Mimi’s give the chef something to sing about. Sirloin or tenderloin, the steak is a safe bet, but the surprise on the menu is the grilled chicken breast. The peppercorn sauce adds to the texture and the olive oil mashed potatoes are mouth-watering. Entrees range from $12- $25, so if you suffer from a slim wallet it is better to opt for a sandwich and save your money for the chic-tinis. These gourmet sandwiches give new twists to the menu, and at almost half the price ($7-$11). The grilled chicken breast sandwich and the burgers are good, but if you aren’t feeling the meat, try the Portobello or the grilled eggplant sandwiches.

It’s obvious that only second to her love of singing, whoever Mimi is, she loves goat cheese, which is an integral part of most dishes. So cash your paycheck, bring your Lactaid, come hungry and, most importantly, come ready for some good entertainment.

It seemed to be duet night, as waiters, two by two, sang Broadway hits including songs from “West Side Story,” “Rent” and “Cabaret.” The waiters, who have to audition to work, or should I say work it, at Mimi’s, sing like there’s no tomorrow, or at least like they are trying out for “American Idol.”

“I’ll Be There,” a song made famous first by a pre-adolescent Michael Jackson (i.e. before Bubbles and plastic surgery) and then the innocent Mariah Carey (i.e. before the divorce and getting thugged out), were slipped into the Broadway mix. A waitress also sang Avril Lavigne’s tune, “I’m With You.” While the crowd doesn’t seem to be the hate-on-anything-pop type, maybe the entertainment should stick to Broadway. The slow Avril-sing-along just didn’t fit with the happy vibe of the restaurant.

If you’re free for happy hour, head over between 3:30 and 7 p.m. to enjoy half-priced appetizers, $4.50 martinis and $3.00 drafts.

The food is good, but the real crowd pleaser is the singing. If you are hungry and looking for a fun night out, head to Dupont Circle to take in the explicit murals, chic-tinis and live performances.