Colonial Varsity Roundup

Snow cancels baseball’s weekend series
The GW baseball team’s battle with mother nature continued last weekend in Olean, N.Y., where the Colonials’ three-game series at St. Bonaventure was canceled because of a combination of snow and rain.

The teams were scheduled to play a doubleheader Saturday afternoon but rain pushed the games to Sunday with a possible third game to be played Monday.

Sunday morning, the head coaches of both teams determined field conditions would not allow any games to be played while GW was in town. Monday is the scheduled make-up day for canceled weekend games, but the weather was not forecasted to improve by then.

After a three-hour rain delay Saturday, the Colonials and Bonnies were able to get in an inning and a half of action, in which GW led 1-0, before more rain and wind canceled the day’s games.

Weather permitting, the Colonials’ next game will be against local rival George Mason at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va. Tuesday at 3 p.m.
-Brian Costa

Lacrosse drops second straight
The GW women’s lacrosse team fell to Atlantic 10 rival Massachusetts 17-6 Sunday, losing back to back games for only the second time this season.

In a game that was delayed two hours because of poor field conditions GW (5-4, 1-2 Atlantic 10) stuck with the Minutewomen in the first half, going goal for goal until heading to the locker room tied 4-4 at the half.

But things fell apart quickly for the Colonials when they returned to the field as UMass senior midfielder Jada Emery scored her third goal of the game, the first of a barrage of second-half goals from UMass.

The Minutewomen scored eight straight goals before Colonial freshman midfielder Colleen Schmidt stopped the run with a goal on the 12:35 mark. Junior midfielder Jacqueii Arfaa responded with a score after a pair of UMass goals before the Minutewomen closed out the match by scoring the last three goals.

Emery and UMass junior Hope Zelinger both finished with four goals.

The women’s Friday match against California at MIT in Cambridge, Ma, originally was rescheduled to Saturday, was finally cancelled because of inclement weather.
-Charles Vundla

Hane extends winning streak to 12 in men’s tennis loss
Junior Matt Hane extended his singles’ winning streak to 12 matches with a 5-7, 6-2, victory over Richmond’s David Donn, but the GW men’s tennis team still dropped the match 5-2 for its third straight loss Thursday.

The Colonials (8-7) received their only other singles win from sophomore Matt Treadgold who took No. 2 singles 6-4, 6-0.

Hane also won his seventh straight doubles match and third in row with senior Brett Warner 8-5, but the Colonials were unable to win any other matches.

The women’s team lost to William and Mary Friday, dropping the Colonials below .500 at 4-7.

The men and women played Friday and Saturday at James Madison and Saint Bonaventure, respectively, but results were not available at press time.
-Jill Ersner

BU edges women’s crew varsity eight
The GW women’s crew team’s varsity eight placed second at the 2000 meter Playfair Cup Saturday in Boston, Ma, beating the U.S. Naval Academy by 20 seconds but falling just behind winner Boston University by three seconds.

“We had a solid race but it’s a double edged sword,” senior Molly Hueller said. “We didn’t beat BU but it’s the closest we’ve ever been.”

The second varsity eight placed third in its race while the novice women took first, edging host Boston University, Navy and Georgetown.

“Our freshmen did amazing and beat BU for the first time since I’ve been here. The win shows a lot of guts on their part and that these girls are trying to build a program and will be with us for four years.”

The men competed at the Occoquan Sprints in Occoquan Va, Sunday, but results were not available at press time.
-Lauren Silva

Meyers strike out 13 in GW loss
The GW softball team lost two extra inning games to La Salle Sunday at Mount Vernon, dropping the first game 3-1 and the second 6-1. After two losses at Saint Bonaventure Saturday, the Colonials stand at 2-21 for the season and 0-8 in the Atlantic Conference.

Sophomore Jaclyn Sanderson tied the first game of the doubleheader 1-1 with a RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning. But it only took La Salle a half an inning to put the Colonials away 3-1 after that, as Vinnie Caputo hit a two-run double to give La Salle the 3-1 lead.

In the second game, it took La Salle 15 innings to put away the Colonials. Freshman standout Elana Meyers pitched 14 innings, striking out 13 on 237 pitches. But it was a 15th inning five-run breakdown by an exhausted Meyers (2-9) that finally put a close on the game.

Saturday the Colonials managed nine runs in the two games, with Sophomore Jen Lawrence hitting her second home run of the year.
-Anthony Moniello

Golf finishes eighth at Navy Invitational
The GW golf team placed eighth this weekend in the Navy Invitational, finishing 18 shots behind the first place host. Andrew Gallo was the low Colonial, shooting a 70 and 75 to end six shots behind individual winner Brian Crum of Navy.

The Colonials were tied for second place after Saturday with a 290, but faded Sunday with a 309 at the U.S. Naval Academy Golf Course in Annapolis.

Despite the fall, head coach Scott Allen said the overall result was promising as the Colonials finished ahead of schools such as Winthrop and Princeton, teams who often place ahead of GW.

The Colonials next tournament is the Princeton Invitation on Friday and Saturday in Princeton, NJ.
-Jeff Neslon