Monthly Club Roundup

Baseball

The GW Club Baseball team is in the process of rescheduling 14 of its games that were scheduled over the past six weeks. The team is scheduled to play a cross-town match-up against Howard University at Bannekar Field in D.C. Saturday, April 5 and Sunday, April 6. All field information and game times can be found at www.gwu.edu/~baseball.

In related news, former club baseball player senior Dave Cutler got his first varsity win for the GW men’s baseball team in a March 15 game against Hartford.

Field Hockey

The GW club field hockey team will kick off its spring season with two homes games at Mount Vernon Athletic Center April 5 against cross-town rival Georgetown and April 13 against a local women’s club.

The team also has tournament at the University of Maryland the weekend of April 25.

Men’s Ultimate Frisbee

The Men’s Frisbee team started its season with a tournament in San Diego over President’s Day weekend, but snow canceled its next two tournaments. Last weekend the team got back in the groove, going three-for-three at a tournament at East Carolina University, with one loss from the No. 3 team in the nation, Oregon.

Team president Ed Van Leer said the team has gained respect from teams around the league and gained confidence that they can play with the best teams in the country.

The team has two tournaments left, at Penn State and UMass, before sectionals. If the team finishes in the top four at sectionals, they will advance to regionals where, if they finish in the top two, they could return to nationals in Austin, Texas.

The team throws around on the Quad during the day and weeknights at 10:30 p.m. All are welcome to join.

Women’s Ultimate Frisbee

The Women’s Ultimate team won two of its five games in the Terminus tournament in Atlanta, Ga. over spring break. In the three losses, the team did not lose a game by more than four points, indicating a strong start.

The team looks to build on its success when the Hungry Hippos head to Massachusetts April 12 and 13 before heading to sectionals April 19 and 20.

Men’s Volleyball

The GW men’s volleyball club just finished its league matches, including14 home and away games against conference teams Georgetown and Johns Hopkins. The team finished third in Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association in the Centennial Conference with a record of 10-4. Loyola finished first in the conference with Georgetown in second.

Freshman libero Eric Leitao and sophomore middle blocker Brandt Johnson were both awarded honorable mention awards for EIVA, while senior setter Luis Pizarro received second team all conference and graduate student Omar Didi received the most valuable player for the entire EIVA Centennial conference.

Next weekend the team heads to Columbus, Ohio to compete in the Men’s Volleyball Club Nationals, with 164 other collegiate club teams from around the nation.

Anyone interested in participating should contact coach Daniel Davidson at [email protected] or faculty adviser John Banzhaf at [email protected].

To see your club featured in next month’s round up, please e-mail [email protected].

-Lauren Silva