Around Campus

PB hosts Spring Fling
The Program Board will host Spring Fling, its annual concert and day of festivities, Sunday from 2 to 6 p.m. on the Quad.

Hip hop act Jurassic 5 will headline the event. Openers include rock band Stepanian, which played with Graham Colton earlier this semester in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom.

Each year the PB hosts Fall Fest and Spring Fling. The band Jimmy Eat World played at this year’s Fall Fest.

Latino students celebrate a night of culture
The Organization of Latino American Students will hosts its annual
Noche de Cultura Friday, an evening of Latino dining and performance.

Students can enjoy tango, folklore and salsa dances throughout the night. Brent Wilkes, national executive director for the League of United Latin American Citizens, will keynote. The League is the oldest Hispanic organization in the United States.

The event, with a Latino Odyssey theme, will take place Friday from 7 to 11 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Admission is $10 for members and $12 for non-members who pre-pay, and $15 for all who pay at the door. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.

Semi-formal attire is requested.

Students get their grooves on for charity
Students will put their dancing shoes on Saturday when GW holds its third annual Dance Marathon. The largest student-run fundraising event at GW, the marathon is a 12-hour party that raises money for the Children’s Hospital in D.C.

From noon until midnight in the Hippodrome, participants will move on the dance floor, raising money for the charity. Interested students can sign up online at gwdancemarathon.com or at the event.

Cost is $10 for registration and a T-shirt. Dancers must either raise $150 or bring 15 addresses where organizers can send donation requests.

Besides dancing, students can play a giant game of twister, bowl, sing karaoke, listen to music from three bands and eat free food. More than 40 prizes from Sony and other gift certificates will be given out.

For more information, e-mail [email protected].

Cokie Roberts to headline Women’s Leadership conference
Political analyst and former ABC News anchor Cokie Roberts will headline “Connections for the Future,” a women’s leadership conference, at the Mount Vernon Campus Friday.

Roberts, who is married to GW professor Steve Roberts, will discuss balancing a demanding career while raising a family. The conference will address women’s professional development, leadership trends, networking and mentoring, among other topics.

The conference will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the Eckles Memorial Library Auditorium. Cost is $10 for students, $30 for GW and MVC graduates from 1997-2002 and $50 for professionals.

Contact Shannon Mouton at or 242-6605 to register.

Israeli U.N. representative to speak on campus
Tal Becker, the Israeli legal adviser to the United Nations, will speak at 7:30 p.m. in the Marvin Center Amphitheater Thursday night. The lecture, “Israel and the U.N. What’s the F**cking deal?” is part of several activities associated with Israel Month.

Out Crowd hosts alternative prom
The Out Crowd and the Youth Pride Alliance will hold their second annual alternative prom Saturday night. The prom will begin at 8 p.m. and take place in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom.

The event is a way for the D.C. community and GW to celebrate Youth Pride Week, a celebration of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender youth in and around D.C.

The event costs $5 at the door. Those 24-year-old and younger are permitted to attend. Age ID is required for admission.

Attendees are asked to “dress to impress.”

The Marvin Center Governing Board and Student Association are co-sponsoring the event.

-Julie Gordon