Drag queens bare all in Hippodrome

Makeup, wigs and dresses graced the dancers of the annual Drag Ball Saturday night at the Hippodrome.

Professional and amateur drag queens from the area entertained a lively crowd of more than 200 students and locals, kicking off GW Pride’s “OUT and About Week,” a week of activities honoring gay issues and lifestyles.

“We like the idea that an event like this attracts people from all sexual orientations,” said sophomore Tim Rice, an organizer of the event. “Our mission is to make people feel comfortable.”

Rice noted that GW Pride had ten people join the 100-member organization during the event.

“We want to give some culture to people that aren’t directly related to the gay community,” he said.

People waved dollar bills in the air as the dancers performed to popular favorites by Celine Dion and Jennifer Lopez.

“I came to the show because I like drag queens and I have never been to a show before,” said sophomore Elice Browne, who was pulled on stage by one of the drag queens to do a runway walk. “I was scared at first, but once I got up there I thought just do it.”

While the event was more for spirit and awareness than to raise money, the professional drag queens said the business is typically quite lucrative.

“Doing this put me through college,” said Tiffany Ross, a drag queen from Maryland. “I chose to do this because it pays the bills.” Ross said drag queens in D.C. get paid about $25 per song.

“Don’t be me in a category for what I do,” Ross said. “I just like the idea of creating an illusion of a woman.”

Ross noted that he loves performing at colleges, as the shows can often help students who are afraid to come out of the closet and express themselves.

“It took me years to get the courage to go on stage practically naked,” Ross said. “I use to be grossed out by the sight of drag queens. It took me a while to come out. I do this to help people accept themselves.”

Clapping and yelling permeated the crowd as the performers did stunts such as splits.

“I do shows because I like to look pretty, have fun, and pay the bills,” said Serenity R, a drag queen from Panama City, Fl. It is also great that the profits of tonight’s event benefit charity.”

Though the drag queens stressed that the show is for everyone.

“People that are straight are coming out more,” said Lady Sophia Cunnington Bouvier, a drag queen from the District. “D.C is getting there as far as their acceptance of gays, but it is not quite as accepting as New York and Florida. It is all about the way in which you carry yourself. If you give respect you will get respect in return.”

However, GW students said they felt generally comfortable about being openly gay.

“I feel accepted, very accepted at GW,” said freshman James Lewis, chair of public relations for GW Pride. “D.C. is a very tolerant community.”

Lewis said the group tries to bring new students to especially tolerant areas in D.C., such as the Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan neighborhoods, “places in Washington that they will feel comfortable.”

Organizers said they were very happy with the turnout at the event.

“This event is a celebration of the gay community,” Rice said. “We want people to come out and have fun, but also get educated about sexual orientation.”

OUT and About Week events this week include Gay movie night Monday, with a panel discussing addressing the history of gay activism and awareness Wednesday.