Student filmmaker to debut film at MPA

“Sound. Roll tape, and action,” shouted senior electronic media major Matt Rosen. Working on his third film, the 22-year-old from southern New Jersey watched intently as his cast and crew wrap up taping for his most recent project, Timecopy, two weeks ago.

A film about a young copy boy struggling with the dull lifestyle of the conformist workplace, Timecopy challenges the confines of cynical colleagues by defying time with a copier-turned-time machine, Rosen said.

The young, brown-haired, blue-eyed director speaks enthusiastically about his project, comparing the filmmaking process to rearing a child.

“(The film) is about a copy boy in a highly regulated and miserable office,” he said. “The office is very regimented and almost communistic, and he pursues a love interest with the aid of his copier.”

Timecopy will be showcased by the electronic media department in the School of Media and Public Affairs gallery on April 26 at 11 a.m. Rosen said he will also send it out to film festivals. Rosen made his first film in the Czech Republic while abroad in Prague last spring

Rosen is shooting his film on 16 millimeter film instead of video, which most other students use. Regular film is put on 35mm, and 16mm is just below that, which is half the price, and lots of people use it,” he said.

Rosen said he will be editing his work in the department’s lab. All taping took place in SMPA hallways.

“The EMDA department has been great, as well as its students who helped me out,” he said. Electronic media director David Liban, a filmmaker, is Rosen’s academic adviser.

Equipment and crewmembers came from American University and some of Rosen’s friends from GW.

Cast members from around the D.C. metropolitan area volunteered for the film, and are all in the process of trying to make it in the movie industry. Some have worked professionally as extras in movies like Minority Report and Head of State.

Jackie Philips, a prospective electronic media major, said the project helped her to apply the video skills she’s learning in class.

“This is really cool, it’s my first film and it’s interesting to see the process in the works,” she said.

Junior Megan Robertson, an electronic media major, logged tape and helped with the production.

Rosen said he wants to continue working in the future.

“I love producing,” Rosen said. “It’s a tough industry but better when you’re in love with what you do. If I get my first break in 25 years I’ll be very happy.”