Colonials Varsity Roundup

Golf team opens spring season
The GW golf team finished 16th out of 19 teams at the William and Mary Invitational in Williamsburg, Va., in the Colonials’ second match of the spring season Sunday and Monday. Freshmen Brian Carroll and Dan Mirabella paced GW with scores of 228 and 230, respectively. Carroll finished in a tie for 25th place while Mirabella tied for 34th place.

The team opened its spring season with the University of San Diego Invitational at Del Mar Country Club in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. March 17. The Colonials finished 15th in the 16-team field, shooting a three-round score of 977 to place just ahead of last-place Connecticut.

Utah won the team title, while Portland’s Mike McCabe won the individual title with a one-over-par 217. Carroll was the top finisher for the Colonials with a combined score of 241 while Mirabella shot a 244. Senior Michael Ball ended with 245.

-Jeff Nelson

Meyers leads Colonials through inaugural struggles
The GW softball team dropped a doubleheader to Mount Saint Mary’s in Emmitsburg, Md., Tuesday, the Colonials’ 13th loss of their inaugural season. GW struggled through its spring break tournament in Orlando, Fla., losing six of seven games.

Despite the team’s initial struggles, freshman captain Elana Meyers is proving to be a bright spot for the team, as she picked up her second win of the season on the mound in the team’s last game, a 4-3 win over Vermont Friday. Meyers also took the victory in the Colonials’ first win of the season, a 6-0 shutout against Coppin State March 12.

Meyers pitched six innings of two-run, four-hit softball Tuesday, notching 10 strikeouts. But an RBI bunt by Mount Saint Mary’s’ Chloe Mathus in the bottom of the seventh put the home team ahead 3-2 to clinch the victory. In the second game of the doubleheader, the Colonials suffered a 4-2 loss, squandering a solid pitching performance by Meyers and sophomore Jaclyn Sanderson.

-Anthony Moniello

Water Polo wins four straight
The GW women’s water polo team won four straight games at the Bucknell Invite last weekend, giving the Colonials seven wins in their past 11 games to bring their record to 11-8.

In GW’s final match of the Invite, the team pulled out a 10-9 sudden death overtime win over the New York Athletic Club to complete their tourney sweep. Earlier that day, GW beat Siena University 13-0, notching the first shutout in GW women’s water polo history.

The team beat Gannon University 12-1 Saturday, shutting the Golden Knights out the last three quarters after beating No. 1 Michigan State 8-2. Freshman goalkeeper Amy Heineman had a season-high 12 saves in the game.

“Our defense has been playing awesome the last few weeks,” head coach Scott Reed said. “Our goalie, Amy Heineman, has been playing great.”

Before the Bucknell sweep, GW took two of three games at the CSUSB Coyote Classic, losing only the last game to Cal Baptist 6-4 after losing three of four matches at Cal Baptist’s Lancer Invite three days earlier.

-Ted Simonson

Lacrosse wins first-ever conference game
The GW women’s lacrosse team tallied its first-ever four-game winning streak capped by a historic win over St. Joseph’s Sunday, the team’s first ever in Atlantic 10 play. Sophomores Jamie Lee and Jenny Heisler scored two goals each and freshman Colleen Schmidt notched the game-winner as the Colonials took the 7-6 win.

“I’m really pleased to win all our games over spring break,” freshman Lauren Bower said. “It was a real confidence booster.”

The day before Sunday’s A-10 victory, the Colonials beat Le Moyne 12-9, fueled from spring break wins over Davidson and SUNY Stony Brook. The team set a school record for goals scored in the Stony Brook victory and sophomore Heidi Mayer set a new school record for total points with five goals and one assist.

-Charles Vundla

Gymnasts tally season high in quest for regional berth
The GW gymnastics team notched a season-high 196.100 against the College of William and Mary Sunday, March 16 in their final meet of the season before the Atlantic 10 championships next Saturday in Philadelphia.

The score, along with the team’s previous season best (195.475 posted in a loss to Maryland the previous week) puts the team on track to qualify for next month’s NCAA Regional Championships in Athens, Ga.

The Colonials took first place in all four events last Sunday. Junior co-captain Lindsay Parks led the way with her first-place vault finish (9.875). On the uneven bars, senior Melissa Suter, who was honored in her final meet as a Colonial, set a career high and tied for first with freshman Tiffany Jones and William and Mary’s Amy Van Deusen (9.875).

Junior co-captain Rachel Mann finished first on the beam (9.850) while sophomore Megan Wilson tied Mann and William and Mary’s Emma Cross for first on the floor (9.900). Mann also took first in the all-around (39.329).

-Kelly Cassetori

Men’s tennis extends streak
The GW Men’s tennis team stretched its winning streak to five games with a 4-3 victory over Mary Washington Wednesday, improving the Colonials’ record to 8-4.

Junior Matt Hane took the win at No. 1 singles, his ninth in a row. The Colonials also took No. 2 and No. 5 singles points with wins from sophomore Matt Treadgold and freshman Jason Sucoll, respectively. GW took the deciding doubles point on wins from Hane and senior Brett Warner at the No. 1 spot and sophomore Jake Jopling and Treadgold at No. 2.

The Colonials will look to extend their wining streak in Pittsburgh, Pa. this Friday when they take on conference rival Duquesne.

-Lauren Silva