Around Campus

SJT travels to Asia, awards President’s medal
University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg awarded the GW President’s Medal to Chiang Chen, chairman of the Chen Hsong Group and donor and founder of the Chiang Industrial Charity Foundation.

Trachtenberg presented the award to Chen at a ceremony in Hong Kong last week. On a business trip to East Asia, Trachtenberg was joined by his wife, Francine, elder son Adam, who speaks Mandarin and dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science Timothy Tong.

SEAS and the Chiang Industrial Charity Foundation had a partnership in fall 2002 to train Chinese industrial leaders. A second program is slated for fall 2003.

Kalb Report changes line-up after Brokaw cancels
The Kalb Report at the National Press Club Monday will feature Pentagon spokesperson Torie Clarke and White House correspondent for The New York Times David Snager, among other journalists. NBC Nightly News Anchor Tom Brokaw was originally scheduled to speak, but canceled because of war coverage in Iraq.

The one-on-one conversation with Brokaw will be rescheduled, but a date has not yet been set.

Monday’s event, “The War in Iraq: Journalism’s Role and Responsibilities,” will take place at 8 p.m. in the main ballroom on the 13th floor of the National Press Club. at 14th and F streets.

Free tickets are available at Ticketmaster. All tickets for Brokaw will be honored at Monday’s event.

GW hosts Meat-out 2003
GW will observe the 19th annual Great American Meat-out Thursday, with vegetarian and vegan cuisine and activities around campus.

J Street’s the Home Zone and Veggie Virtuoso will feature all-vegan menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Ames Dining Hall at the Mount Vernon Campus will also get rid of its meat and dairy products for the day.

GW Dining Services and the Student Association Dining Services Commission will also present cooking demonstrations and food samplings.

The Meat-out is the world’s largest and oldest annual grassroots diet education campaign.

-Julie Gordon

South Asian Society hosts Bahangra Blowout
The 10th annual Bahangra Blowout dance competition will be held at the Smith Center Saturday at 7 p.m. Teams from across the country will compete in the Indian and Pakistani folk music dance competition. Cost is $25.

-Elizabeth Brown

Students for Free Tibet meet Chinese official
Students for a Free Tibet delivered a petition to the director of cultural affairs at the Chinese Embassy Wednesday, organizers said, as part of a nationwide day of advocacy.

The presentation of the letter coincided with actions in Chicago, Houston and New York, said Nana Kessie, president of the Students for a Free Tibet at GW.

The letter, addressing alleged human rights abuses by the Chinese government in Tibet, was delivered by a delegation of five GW students.

“The fact that (the director of cultural affairs) even saw us is unprecedented,” said Julie Stewart, a regional coordinator of Students for a Free Tibet, who was part of the delegation sent to the embassy.

The group is planning further efforts on behalf of Tibet, which China claims as a de facto rogue province, in the coming months.

-Alex Kingsbury