Softball takes first win of the season

This week was one of firsts for the GW softball team. The Colonials earned their first win of their inaugural season splitting a double header with Coppin State Wednesday at Mount Vernon. The 6-0 victory came in the second game of the match up, with Coppin State taking the first game 1-0.

Freshman captain Elana Meyers, the Colonials’ first recruit, gave up only one hit in the Colonials win, striking out 14. In the first game sophomore Jaclyn Sanderson struck out 11 and gave up three hits, including the lone run.

With the Colonials first two games ruled as exhibitions by the NCAA because they did not go more than six innings, the Colonials’ Tuesday match up against Towson at Mount Vernon became the team’s official inaugural game. Meyers was the first to take the mound and threw GW’s first pitch and first strike out. She was also the Colonials first base runner and scored their first run, all in the first inning. Still, the day resulted in the Colonials’ first losses, 8-2 and 3-1 to the Tigers.

The Colonials head to Orlando to face Mount Saint Mary’s, St. Joseph’s and Temple in a tournament this weekend.

Towson 8, GW 2
Game One
Meyers took a leadoff walk in the bottom of the first to give GW its first run in an 8-2 loss to Towson Tuesday. Once on base, Meyers advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by senior Edna Coonan and came home on a passed ball, giving the Colonials their first run in softball history and a 1-0 lead.

GW (1-3) held the Tigers off until the third inning when Towson (4-3) scored two runs on a double by Sam Schaukowitch. Two singles, a double and a sacrifice fly later, Towson had a five-run inning and the 5-1 advantage.

Freshman third baseman Kristen Miller scored another run for GW in the fourth on an RBI double by classmate Erica Heikel, but Towson would added three more of their own, leaving the final score at 8-2.

Towson 3, GW 1
Game Two
Game two of Tuesday’s double header proved a more competitive contest, as the Colonials and Tigers held each other scoreless going into the third inning. But defensive mistakes cost the Colonials in the top of the third as Towson scored two runs on a wild pitch and an error, ultimately taking the game 3-1.

Down 2-0, the Colonials fought back in the fifth, as Coonan drove in sophomore Jennifer Lawrence to make it 2-1, but the Colonials could not close the gap and left the bases loaded in the fifth. Towson added an insurance run in the sixth and won the game when it was called because of darkness in the sixth inning.

-Elizabeth Brown contributed to this report.