Greek Briefs

New fraternity recruits on campus
Representatives from the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity came to campus this week to colonize a group at GW. The fraternity, which left campus in 1997 because of documented hazing practices, was invited back to campus last semester.

Two expansion representatives from the national organization will spend five weeks on campus initiating the colonization process. The representatives will meet with administrators and student leaders to get recommendations for prospective founding members. They will also make presentations to sororities and other student groups.

“We’ve been meeting with administrators (and student groups) in order to get a perspective on how we can work with the campus,” expansion consultant Burke Smith said. “We want (Pi Kappa Alpha) to be able to interact with the other student groups as well as we can.”

Smith said that while they are interested in meeting as many GW males as possible, recruitment efforts will be mainly through recommendations. Smith said he and Watson are looking for men who are already involved on campus who are looking for an outlet to better serve the GW community.

In addition to recruitment, Smith and co-expansion coordinator Matt Watson will spend the next month setting up an advisory board of alumni to help guide the GW chapter.

Once the colonization process is underway, the group will take steps toward receiving a national charter. Chartering can take anywhere from one to two years.

“It is a brand new group and a brand new (Pi Kappa Alpha),” Smith said.

For more information on the expansion, contact Smith at [email protected].

-Rachel Gould