Sports Briefs

Softball: The Colonials struggled in their inaugural season opening weekend, dropping both games at a tournament in Hampton, Va. The women, however, remain positive as they prepare for their long-awaited first home game as a varsity team.

The first-ever GW Division I varsity softball game will take place at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex this Tuesday, when the Colonials (0-2) face the Towson Tigers in a 2 p.m. game.

In their final tournament game, GW fell 4-0 to Morgan State Saturday. After making the historic debut as GW’s first-ever Division I varsity pitcher, freshman Elana Meyers stepped back up onto the mound for the second day in a row, only to be punished. She allowed four runs on seven hits, tossing three wild pitches in the first inning. Morgan State’s hurler Grace Glenn froze the Colonials at the plate, allowing only one hit with nine strikeouts.

The Colonials dropped their first game of the season to Howard 4-1 Friday, giving up three unearned runs in the first inning. Meyers allowed only four hits and two earned runs while striking out seven. The pitcher also hit 1-for-3 and scored the first run in Colonials’ history. Senior Samantha Sordi tallied the Colonials’ first hit.
-Anthony Moniell

Tennis: The GW men’s tennis team swept both its matches this weekend, beating Howard University Friday and Towson University Saturday for its fourth sweep in as many contests.

In their 7-0 win over Towson, the Colonials (7-4) only let one singles match reach a third set. Junior Matt Hane took No.1 singles 6-0, 6-2 and took No. 1 doubles with freshman teammate Marius Weigert.

Sophomores Matt Treadgold and Jake Jopling contributed straight-set victories at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, teaming to win at No. 2 doubles 8-2. Senior Brett Warner and freshman Joe Weissfeld took their singles matches at the No. 5 and No. 6 spots, respectively, and teamed to win a No. 3 doubles.

At Friday’s match versus Howard University, the Colonials also pulled off a 7-0 sweep. Hane posted two victories at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles with Weigert, who also took a victory at No. 4 singles.

The Colonials will try to continue their streak when they travel to Duqusene March 28.

The women’s team beat Howard 6-1 Friday, improving its record to 2-4.

Returning from a wrist injury, junior Lindy First grabbed her first two victories at No. 6 singles and teamed with senior Tracy Wei to take No. 1 doubles.

Sophomores Natasha Bode, Selva Gonca and junior Samantha Fisher grabbed victories at No. 3, 4 and 5 singles, respectively.
-Jill Ersner

Water polo: The GW women’s water polo team started league play Friday, splitting its four games in the first weekend of Collegiate Water Polo Association play in Salem, W.V.

The Colonials (4-4) dropped their final match of the weekend to Bucknell University Saturday. GW played shorthanded because of sickness and injury, allowing Bucknell to take the lead in the last minute of the game for the 11-10 win. Junior Kira Canon led the team with three goals in only two quarters of play as foul trouble kept her out late in the game.

Prior to the Bucknell match, GW faced Salem International in a rematch of last weekend’s contest. The outcome was the same, however, as GW outmatched Salem for a 14-5 win. Canon led a balanced Colonial attack with four goals.

GW lost a hard-fought battle to No. 15 Princeton in its second game of the weekend. The Colonials rallied from a 7-4 halftime deficit to tie the game at eight but could not hold the lead. Canon lead the team again with five goals.

“We played a great game,” head coach Scott Reed said. “We just ran out of steam and their top player scored some goals in the final period to win it for them. Overall, we played a great game and never gave up.”

In their first match of the weekend GW played Villanova, shutting down the Wildcats from the outset Friday. Freshman goalkeeper Amy Heineman led a strong GW defense, holding Villanova for the 10-3 win. Canon and senior Ashley Pyka led the team with three goals each.

Next weekend the women’s water polo team heads to California for the seven-game, five-day Lancer Invitational at University of California- Baptist.
-Ted Simonson

Gymnastics: Even with its third place finish in the four-team meet at Maryland this weekend, the GW women’s gymnastics team turned in a solid 193.675, helping their bid for a regional berth.

Host Maryland won the meet with a 196.025, followed by University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill’s 194.925. University of Pennsylvania finished last with a 188.200.

Freshman Heather Kaufman was the Colonials’ highest all around finisher in third place (38.050) as junior co-captain Rachel Mann faltered on the beam, pushing her back to seventh.

The Colonials turned in their best performance on the uneven bars, turning in a 49.000, led by Mann’s 9.850. Senior Melissa Suter and freshman Tiffany Jones helped the cause, tying for fourth place with 9.825.

Maryland and GW, who have split their two previous meetings this season, will face each other Wednesday at the Smith Center.
-Kelly Cassetori