AROUND CAMPUS

Presidential candidate speaks on campus
Senator John Edwards (D-N.C.), a presidential candidate for the 2004 election, will deliver a policy address at GW Wednesday. He will discuss the challenges facing parents today and offer ideas to strengthen American families.

The event will take place in the Media and Public Affairs building’s Jack Morton Auditorium at 12:30 p.m.

Students interested in attending should RSVP to [email protected] by Tuesday at 5 p.m. For more information call 994-7179.

J Street venues, Provisions expand hours
Montague’s Deli, Starbucks and Taco Bell will stay open until midnight Sunday through Thursday starting after spring break. Provisions also expanded its hours until midnight during the week and Big Burger is open until 2 a.m. Thursday through Sunday.

J Street’s The Home Zone will also serve breakfast all day on the weekends.

Taco Bell and Starbucks will offer the same menus as they do during daytime hours. Montague’s will have sandwiches, along with Chinese food, grab and go options and sushi. Food from the Malaysian station will be refrigerated and packaged so students can pick it up and bring it home to microwave.

McCurry discusses Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Mike McCurry, President Bill Clinton’s press secretary, will speak on campus Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. about the impact of public diplomacy and the media in relation to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Mark Regev, spokesman for the Embassy of Israel and Nathan Guttman, journalist for Ha’aretz Newspaper will also speak. GW professor Bernard Reich will moderate.

The event is at the Law School, room L201 and is being sponsored by the Israel Peace Project.

Prof named to Columbia Accident Investigation Board
NASA appointed GW political science and international affairs professor John Logsdon to the Columbia shuttle Accident Investigation Board. The panel is investigating the reasons behind the February crash.

He will join Sally Ride, former NASA astronaut and the first woman in space, and Douglas D. Osheroff, a Nobel prize-winning physicist, on the team.

Top journalism group recognizes Hatchet
The GW Hatchet received second place in the non-daily newspaper category for the Society of Professional Journalists Regional Mark of Excellence Awards this year. GW’s region consists of newspapers from universities including American, Georgetown, the University of Maryland and several southern universities.

Seven staffers also grabbed awards, including:

*First place for newspaper in-depth reporting, Alex Kingsbury (metro editor), Mosheh Oinounou (news managing editor) and T. Neil Sroka (staff writer)

*First place for newspaper editorial writing, Joshua Riezman (opinions editor)

*First place for newspaper sports column writing, Lauren Silva (sports editor)

*First place for spot news photography, Andrew Snow (photo editor)

*Third place for newspaper sports writing and second place for online sports reporting, Brian Costa (asst. sports editor)

The first place winners will go on to compete in the national contest.