WEB EXTRA: Hart wins election, looks to reform SA

Posted 6:30 p.m., Friday March 7 Kris Hart edged out Steve Sobel for Student Association president Thursday, winning by 91 votes.

Hart, a sophomore, garnered 53 percent of 2,021 student votes to Sobel’s 47 percent.

“We did it,” Hart said. “We’re going to have a great SA. The SA is coming back to the students.”

Two-hundred seventy students cast absentee ballots, many of which came from the medical school, which endorsed Hart.

“We did the best we could,” Sobel said. “I can’t change things now, and I wouldn’t have done anything different.”

Sobel said he is unsure what his future plans are.

Hart said he held a meeting Friday afternoon at 3 p.m., where he appointed his director and spokesperson for transistion, Alisha Piontkowski. He also said he plans to choose his cabinet before spring break.

“I said when I started all this that I wasn’t going to make any promises to anyone, and that now allows me to find the best person for each job,” Hart said.

Hart also noted his goal have students “look at the (SA) and be proud” and “feel…(the SA) went to the administration and represented” his constituents well.

“On Friday night a year from now I want to be able to eat at a campus dining venue any time, 24 hours per day, seven days per week,” Hart said. “I want people to be able to have easy access to campus from their residence halls, and not have to come from somewhere like Virginia. I’d also like to see the University hire more full-time faculty.”

Hart also said he is “really looking forward” to working with current SA president Phil Robinson in the next few weeks.

SA Executive Vice President Eric Daleo, who was re-elected last week to serve a second term, said he was pleased with Hart’s victory. Daleo jumped at Thursday night’s announcement, and lifted Hart off the ground.

“It’s about accountability,” Daleo said. “Next year the SA will present a unified voice to both the administration and the students. We expect the students to hold us accountable. And there will be reform.”

Daleo said one of the most important issues facing the new administration is the proposed trimester system, which would keep GW’s facilities open year-round to increase “efficiency.”

“How will (it work)?” he said. “There are a lot of issues that we need to discuss.”

For more election news as it breaks, check out www.GWHatchet.com