SA Senate Notes

Trachtenberg discusses trimester system
University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg spoke to the Senate for almost an hour on Tuesday about his proposed trimester system, which may have GW operating year-round by fall 2005 at the earliest.

“How can we use our space and facilities most efficiently and in a way that helps our students?” Trachtenberg said.

Trachtenberg also spoke about his proposal to move to a four-credit, four-class semester. Under this system, students would take four longer, more in-depth classes, rather than the five shorter ones.

“Many departments are worried that they teach that fifth class (that students will no longer have to take),” he said. “We’ve got to work to reassure them as we move forward. After all, the credit hour system in general is an obsolete system, and it’s time we recognized that.”

After Trachtenberg’s remarks, senators briefly questioned him and the heads of a committee studying alternate academic calendars.

Senate creates director of diversity affairs
The Senate passed a bill Tuesday to create an SA director of diversity affairs.

SA President Phil Robinson expressed dissatisfaction with the bill, saying a director’s position can be “created and disbanded too easily.”

“(The bill) fell short of what students want and need on this campus,” he said. “We need a permanent vice president of diversity affairs who will work with administrators on the important issues we face.”