Color in a black and white world

Black is a Color is a three-gallery exhibit featuring the work of black artists drawn from the Corcoran’s permanent collection. Black is a Color shows the viewer that African-American art and identity are inextricably entwined.

The pieces in the first gallery are the most colorful in the display, but the most captivating pieces are found in the following two rooms. The walls in this room are painted red, a stark contrast to the two other galleries, and they mostly boast black-and-white photographs of black Americans protesting, working, or doing everyday activities.

At first, “Camella” does not stand out from this group, but it grabs you nonetheless. Upon further inspection, you realize artist Michael Platt’s phototeching is indeed unique as it distorts the photograph.. From afar, you see an image of a woman holding her hands over her face; however, when you move in, you notice the woman’s eyes are nothing but empty white space with a few black flecks, invoking the feeling that this woman has no true identity. The downward tilt of the woman’s head and the motion suggested by the uneven strokes found in all parts of the piece but the subject’s hands imply a sense of anguish and allows the piece to reach out to the viewer.

Black is a Color aims to show African-American artistic expression through various mediums. It achieves this goal by presenting various forms, in the hopes that the viewer will connect with at least one.

The most notable pieces in this exhibit are the black-and-white photographs and paintings. They depict the real lives of black Americans, eschewing popular perception and depictions. The stark contrast of black and white evokes emotion and invites the viewer to empathize with the artist. The exhibit as a whole is worth a trip during your midday break.