Around Campus

Students bid for top housing picks
Although the University is looking for additional housing accommodations and has not yet collected Intent to Return forms, the Residence Hall Association will host Martha’s Marathon Friday night.

Martha’s Marathon is an auction for the top five housing selection numbers. The RHA will auction off numbers two to five to the highest bidders and will give the first pick away in a raffle.

Students usually find out their housing selection numbers prior to Martha’s Marathon, but this year numbers have not been distributed.

Sophomore Katie Guccione, RHA director of programming, said she doesn’t think the ITR delay will stop students from bidding on housing picks.

“(Housing announcements) have been so delayed this year, it is possible students will want to know (if) they are getting (housing),” she said.

Martha’s Marathon will take place at J Street Friday night from 7 p.m. to midnight. This year’s theme is Hollywood. Tickets for the raffle will be sold Thursday and Friday on the Marvin Center H Street terrace.

MVC hosts academic labor conference
About 80 students, faculty members and academic workers gathered at the Mount Vernon Campus Friday and Saturday for an “academic labor and the new politics of consensus” conference.

Sponsored by the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences and the Elizabeth J. Somers Women’s Leadership Program, the conference hosted Catherine Ott, curator of the National Museum of American History, and Joel Westheimer, who was denied tenure and fired from New York University, among other speakers.

NYU fired Westheimer in 1999 after he testified at a National Labor Relations Board hearing supporting teaching and research assistant unionization. As an education professor specializing in community and democracy at NYU, Westheimer has said he felt the workers had a right to unionize despite NYU’s wishes to curb the efforts.

Teaching assistants and adjunct faculty members have recently led unionization efforts on GW’s campus, which the University has opposed.

Other speakers at the conference discussed topics including politics in academia post-September 11, the role of public activism in academia and the progressive revival.

Cultural groups host celebrations
Several cultural groups on campus will host activities throughout the weekend, including parties, dance performances and dinners.

The Italian Society will host a “Carnevale Italian-style” Thursday night from 7 to 8 p.m. in Academic Center rooms 413 and 414. The organization will highlight the traditional Italian festival with free food and pastries, Venetian mask-making and a “meet and greet” with newly elected officers.

An event planned for the Persian New Year, Eide Norooz, will offer students an opportunity to listen to classical Persian music, see dance performances and taste authentic cuisine from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday. The Iranian Cultural Society will hold an after-party from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. featuring two DJs.

The event will take place in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Tickets cost $15 for students, $20 for adults and $5 for just the after-party.

Emocapella will provide music at the French Club’s first Mardi Gras celebration Saturday. From 9 p.m. to midnight, students can stop by the Hippodrome to eat free French food, collect beads and listen to the a cappella group.

Traditional Indian dances and performances will mark Holi Rangeela, a holiday that celebrates spring, Saturday from 8 to 11 p.m. in Lisner Auditorium. Tickets cost $4 for members of the Indian Student Association and $6 for non-members.

-Julie Gordon