Water Polo splits home invitational

The GW women’s water polo team hosted its first and last home match of the season, losing to Navy Aquatic Club but beating Salem International in the final match.

The match was the last one at the Smith Center for the team’s five seniors and head coach Scott Reed said it was nice to send them off with a win.

“This was our last home game of the year,” he said. “It was nice to have a victory for our five seniors.”

In the final match of the tournament GW (2-3) easily defeated Salem International 17-4. With sickness and injury hindering Salem, GW easily outmatched the Tigers.

Seven players scored for GW with junior Kendra Shanley leading the way with five goals. Junior Kira Canon, sophomore Taraneh Bastani, senior Adrienne Taylor, senior Michelle Cuozzo and senior Kiersten Johnson all added two goals each.

Freshman goalkeeper Amy Heineman shutout the Tigers in the first and third periods to help GW stay ahead.

In their first match, GW played the Navy Aquatic Club in what was more of a practice for the Colonials, who had not played in two weeks.

The Midshipmen scored to go ahead with ten seconds left and GW missed a last second shot, settling for the 8-7 loss. Vanessa Fravel and Canon had three goals each while senior Ashley Pyka added one.

GW heads to Salem, W.V. next weekend to start league play in the CWPA Weekend No. 1 with four games in three days against Villanova, Bucknell, Salem International and Princeton.