Makeup days scheduled

Students will attend two extra days of classes at the end of the semester to make up for last month’s snow day cancellations.

Although the University will not be making up the Dec. 5 snow day because it fell right before midterms and there were scheduling conflicts, officials said the February dates gave the University enough time to schedule academic space.

April 29 will be the designated makeup day for classes that were canceled the morning of Friday, Feb. 7, according to an e-mail that went out to all students and faculty at the end of February. All classes canceled on Feb. 18 will be made up on the first exam reading day, Thursday, May 1.

Exams will begin Monday, May 5.

“We are driven by a strong sense of obligation to provide the instructional time students’ tuition is paying for,” said Craig Linebaugh, vice president for academic affairs. “Simply canceling a day of school is not an option.”

More than 50 classes were called off Feb. 7. The classes, along with others that were canceled throughout the semester because of teacher illnesses and absences, will be made up on April 29.

Linebaugh, who also serves as associate vice president for academic planning and special projects, said rescheduling classes on the first reading day was the best option for students.

“I felt comfortable taking that reading day because students still have three whole days left to study for finals,” Linebaugh said.

Academic Planning and Special Projects also discussed, but decided against, rescheduling Feb.18 classes on a Saturday, which would push the exam schedule one day forward, and making up both days on April 29.

Linebaugh said professors are required to schedule makeup classes on these dates.

“We are providing the message that if a class is missed, the expectation is that it will be made up,” Linebaugh said.

Some students said replacing a reading day with a day of classes is unfair because they will miss valuable study time.

“(By) taking away one more (reading) day, the school is putting us at a great disadvantage,” freshman Cassie Boyd said.

Some other students said they did not mind the change.

“I don’t really care one way or another because it will give us one extra class to review for finals,” junior Paul Nadeau said.

The Law School, the School of Medicine and Health Sciences and the School of Public Health and Health Services will announce their own schedules for making up canceled classes.

Linebaugh said he and other officials are concerned about further school disruptions from weather conditions but have no definite plans.

“Who knows what will happen in March? I am already thinking about it,” Linebaugh said.