AROUND THE NATION

Connecticut College cancels classes to discuss racism on campus
(U-WIRE) PROVIDENCE, R.I. – After several incidents of racism on campus, Connecticut College canceled classes last Tuesday to discuss diversity. The college has seen eight race-related incidents since October, according to the college’s bias incident log. The incidents included graffiti, threatening e-mail and phone messages and defacement of posters.

In October, racist graffiti was written on two students’ doors. The campus remained relatively quiet until another spate of incidents occurred this month.

On Feb. 13, a female student of color received a phone call telling her to “go back where (she) came from.” Three days earlier, a Black History Month poster was defaced, with “Black History Month” crossed out and “Nigger Month” written over it.

During the day of diversity forums, students first met in small groups in residence halls. Then all 1,650 students convened to discuss the incidents and future plans, said David M. Milstone, dean of student life.
-Brown Daily Herald (Brown U.)

Stanford rally calls attention to gay marriage issues
(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif. – Four couples walking down the aisle, wedding cakes, the Stanford University Band and a large group of spectators marked the first annual “Stanford Freedom to Marry Rally,” Thursday. Sponsored by the Queer Straight Social Political Alliance, the rally was intended to raise campus awareness about political discrimination against homosexuals.

“One of the main purposes of this symbolic ceremony is to eradicate many of the misconceptions floating around about queer marriage,” said senior Jesse Evans, one of the coordinators of the event. “Hawaii did not legalize same-sex marriage. Civil union is not the same as marriage. And domestic partnership precludes many legal rights.”

Between the wedding ceremonies, spectators could read informational fliers, sign a nationwide petition and listen to a personal speech by QSSPA speaker Charlie Rose about his own dream to wed and have a family. Unfortunately, he noted, same sex-marriage is recognized in only two countries – the Netherlands and Belgium.
-The Stanford Daily (Stanford U.)

Loss of icon affects generations
(U-WIRE) HANOVER, N.H. – Fred Rogers, the beloved children’s television icon who was a friend and neighbor to generations of American children as “Mister Rogers,” died Thursday at the age of 74.

During a career in television that spanned half a century, he became best known for “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood,” which first appeared on PBS in 1969 and continued uninterrupted until 2001, when the last original episode aired.

In an interview with The Dartmouth last June, Rogers said he was attracted to the medium of television because of its potential for good, a potential that he thought was being wasted.

“(Television) is neither good nor bad, it’s what we do with it that makes it that way,” he said. “I think once you’ve established a bond of trust, it’s just endless what you can impart in a positive way.”
-The Dartmouth (Dartmouth College)