Staff Editorial: Good info, questionable timing

The recent release of a Student Association report legitimizes the need for reform included in many candidates’ campaign platforms.

Earlier this year, The Hatchet reported an investigation of former Student Association Sen. J.P Blackford for his alleged misuse of student funds to buy alcohol for a SA mixer. Witnesses have said that minors consumed alcohol at the unregistered party. Blackford resigned before Vice President for Judicial and Legislative Affairs Justin Oshana released a report that was to be the culmination of the investigation into his conduct.

It turns out Oshana agreed not to release the report if Blackford resigned his Senate seat. The matter could have remained closed.

But now, in the midst of a hotly contested SA election in which Daleo is seeking re-election and Blackford has mounted a write-in campaign for a 10th year in office, the report has surfaced. Oshana released the report, he said, to prevent Blackford’s reelection.

Oshana’s position as VPJLA is nearly unchecked by SA bylaws. He investigates whomever he wants, whenever he wants and can release the reports at any time. This gives his position undue political influence.

By not having a time constraint for releasing a report, Oshana is able to use it for possible political advantage. Oshana’s friend and Mock Trial teammate Jason Cabrera happens to be running for EVP against Daleo.

While the timing of Oshana’s report is questionable, the information it contains is still corroborated and pertinent. It indicts Blackford and Daleo for knowingly falsifying an expense report to purchase alcohol with SA funds.

A history of scandal has proved it is prudent to have a strong investigative agency within the Senate, but there should be a much clearer and more structured investigative process with legitimate executive oversight of the VPJLA.