Mann wins all around in GW’s first home win

The GW gymnastics team posted its second-highest score of the season to beat local rival James Madison University 193.925-191.100 Wednesday night at the Smith Center. The score was the gymnasts’ second-straight high score, brining them one step closer to qualifying for regionals.

Last week the team beat West Virginia University for the first time in school history, with its highest score of the season, a 195.175. To qualify for regionals, the team needs six strong scores and head coach Margie Foster Cunningham said her team is on track to keep improving with five competitions left.

“We picked up a lot of speed beating West Virginia and we kept it going tonight,” she said. “We really capitalized on our momentum and we are confident and committed for what we need to do.”

Junior co-captain Rachel Mann won the all around for her second-straight meet, scoring a 38.925. She tied a career high on the Colonials’ final event, floor exercise, with a 9.900, leading GW to its best event of the night with a 49.125.

Junior co-captain Lindsey Parks and freshman Heather Kaufman also tied career highs in floor with a 9.875 and a 9.825, respectively, as the Colonials swept the floor exercises.

Kaufman also finished second in the all around, behind Mann with a 38.325. Parks took first place in the vault with her best score of the season, a 9.850.

Next weekend the Colonials travel to College Park to take on the Maryland Terrapins in a 7 p.m. meet Saturday.