Forchion’s career-high not enough in men’s basketball overtime loss

The GW men’s basketball team shot 53 percent from the field and saw a career-high 24 point-performance from sophomore Tamal Forchion but fell just short of its first conference road win Wednesday night at St. Bonaventure. The Colonials took the Bonnies into overtime but could not contain Marques Green, who scored 13 of St. Bonaventure’s 15 overtime points to edge GW 94-89.

Green finished with a game-high 32 points for the Bonnies (13-13, 7-6 A-10), while Forchion led GW in scoring for the second consecutive game. Senior Chris Monroe added 19 points, eight rebounds and eight assists for GW (10-15, 4-10 A-10) before fouling out in overtime.

“It’s the first game this year that I’ve really felt bad for the guys,” GW head coach Karl Hobbs said. “They played well enough to win and should have won. It was a great tournament-type game and atmosphere.”

GW led 70-64 with 5:39 left in regulation before St. Bonaventure went on a 12-4 run to take two-point lead. GW went ahead on a three-pointer by junior Greg Collucci with 1:33 remaining but after another GW basket, the Bonnies converted a three-point play and tied the game with 20 seconds left. Collucci missed a three at the buzzer, sending the game to overtime.

“We wanted to get Greg a good open look and have him shoot with about five seconds left,” Hobbs said. “Unfortunately, he missed a great look, and we got a chance at a tip but came up short.”

In overtime, GW trailed by just two points with half a minute remaining, but Green hit a long three-pointer to put the Colonials away.

The loss drops the Colonials a half game behind La Salle for fifth place in the A-10 West. Depending on the outcome of both teams’ remaining regular season games, there is a chance GW and St. Bonaventure will face each other in the first round of the A-10 Tournament.

GW’s bench was shortened when freshman Omar Williams suffered a pulled groin early in the game, Hobbs said. He did not re-enter the game after the injury and Hobbs said his status is questionable for Saturday’s game against Xavier.

“Omar’s injury really hurt us, especially in our rotations,” he said. “Everyone had to play a lot of minutes and the guys are beat down.”

The Colonials made up for the loss of Williams offensively, however, as four players scored in double figures. Freshman Pops Mensah-Bonsu added 14 points and seven rebounds and sophomore T.J. Thompson played all 45 minutes of the game, tallying 14 points, six rebounds and three assists. Freshman Mike Hall had 11 rebounds and six assists in 43 minutes.

“This was one of the best games we’ve played all year from an offensive standpoint,” Hobbs said, citing good shot selection and play execution. “We got contributions from everyone who stepped on the court.”

The Colonials trailed 39-37 at halftime before the Bonnies opened the second half with 12 straight points. GW fought back to regain the lead on a 14-3 run that put them up 70-64.

The Colonials have just two games remaining before the A-10 Tournament and will face the best and worst of the conference. Saturday, the Colonials head to Cincinnati to face No. 15 Xavier, which beat GW at the Smith Center earlier this month. A week later, GW will host last-place Fordham in Monroe’s final regular season game at the Smith Center.