Around Campus

Provost named to Homeland Security panel
The White House Homeland Security Panel appointed University Provost John “Skip” Williams to the federal Emergency Services, Law Enforcement and Public Health and Hospitals Senior Advisory Committee Friday. The panel, created by President George W. Bush in 2002, provides information from the U.S. emergency response community to the Homeland Security Advisory Council.

Williams serves as GW’s vice president for Health Affairs and dean of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences. He headed the University’s effort to bring “best practices” into local, regional and national preparedness.

GW hosts student AIDS campaign conference
GW’s chapter of the Student Global AIDS Campaign will host the SGAC national conference this weekend. Student activists, AIDS activists, professionals, celebrities and governmental officials will speak and hold workshops from Friday to Monday.

Actor Rupert Everett, known for his role in My Best Friend’s Wedding, will speak at the conference. Members of the public health organizations will also speak and lead workshops. A full agenda for the weekend can be found at www.fightglobalaids.com.

“There’s going to be a lot of young energy,” said freshman Monika Bandyopadhyay, national conference housing coordinator. “(The conference) gives young people an opportunity to be exposed to the AIDS issue.”

Events will take place in the Marvin Center, Ross Hall and the Washington Marriott at 22nd and M streets and are free for all students.

Bandyopadhyay said the organization expects about 400 students from campuses including Harvard University, Wesleyan University and schools in California and Nevada. About 100 GW students have already registered.

One of the “Little Rock Nine” addresses students
Ernest Green, one of the “Little Rock Nine,” will speak in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Thursday at 7 p.m.

The nine were the first black students to attend Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. Green was the first black man to graduate from Central High School in May 1958. He then graduated from Michigan State University and served as assistant secretary of housing and urban affairs under President Jimmy Carter.

Green is currently a managing partner and vice president for Lehman Brothers bank in D.C.

The Black Student Union is sponsoring the event.

Word Up! hosts inspirational speaker
The WordUp! Bible study group is hosting Michael Freeman, an inspirational speaker, Thursday evening. Freeman can give students the “energy (they) need to recharge and make an impact,” according to WordUp.

The event will take place Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center Amphitheater.

Publications look for submissions
Le Culte du Moi and the Mortar and Pestle online literary magazine are currently accepting submissions for their next publications.

Le Culte du Moi is will accept poetry and nonfiction entries for its spring issue. Submissions should be sent to [email protected]. There will also be an open-mic reading March 7 in Marvin Center 404 at 8 p.m.

Writers of poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction can also submit up to four pieces to Mortar and Pestle by March 12. E-mail [email protected] to submit.

-Julie Gordon