Colonials varsity roundup

swimming | w. water polo | w. tennis | gymnastics | m. squash | softball

Women finish third, men fourth at swimming A-10 championships
The GW women’s swimming and diving team placed third (453) and the men placed fourth at the Atlantic 10 championships last weekend in Buffalo, N.Y. Richmond won the women’s competition (805) for the second consecutive year while Massachusetts took the men’s competition (785) for the third year in a row.

The men finished the season 0-10 and the women ended up 4-6.

Sophomore Bryan Ferretti took first place in the men’s 1,650 yard freestyle (16:03.69) and junior Ruth Dubyel won the women’s 200 yard butterfly (2:05.39). Freshman Sean Kernan (100 yard freestyle) and freshman Maggie Moss (200 yard backstroke) earned third place performances as did the women’s relay team.
-Kelly Cassetori

Women’s water polo starts season 1-2
The GW women’s water polo team dropped two games to ranked teams as the Colonials kicked off their season at the Princeton Invitational Feb. 15-16. Head Coach Scott Reed said he was using this tournament to see where his team was rather than worrying about wins or losses.

“I was very happy with the results,” he said “We are a lot further along than we had anticipated.”

The Colonials (1-2) lost to No. 18 Brown University 11-1 in their final game of the tournament Sunday. Senior co-captain Ashely Pyka scored GW’s only goal of the game and freshman goalie Amy Heinemann had five saves.

In their second match of the weekend, a surge of offensive production led GW over Villanova University 11-5. Junior Kira Canon had five goals and Heinemann had nine saves.

GW’s first match was its toughest, a 10-0 loss to No. 10 University of California Santa Barbara (5-4).
-Ted Simonson

Women’s tennis drops two
The GW women’s tennis team lost a close match to American 4-3 Saturday at College Park, Md. Senior Tracey Wei won her first singles victory of the spring season, beating the Ealges’ Sasha Zerkalova 6-4, 6-3.

The team fell to host Old Dominion 6-1 Friday as freshman Estee Bartell won the only match for the Colonials (1-3).

Bartell won the No. 6 singles match, defeating Old Dominion’s Munziger 7-6, 1-6, 10-4 to win the third tie-breaking set.

The GW men’s tennis team lost to host Princeton University 6-1 Saturday. Junior Matt Hane recorded the Colonials’ only point at No. 1 singles, defeating the Tigers’ Trevor Smith 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. The loss drops the men’s record to 3-4 on the season.
-Jill Ersner

Gymnasts win first meet of season
The GW gymnastics team took its first meet of the season, beating West Virginia University Sunday at the WVU Coliseum. The Mountaineers won three out of four events, but the Colonials took advantage of a poor West Virginia beam performance and edged out the 195.175-195.15 victory.
-Lauren Silva

Men’s squash wins Conroy Cup
The men’s squash team won its final match against Hamilton College Sunday to win the Conroy Division at the Intercollegiate Squash Championships in Princeton, N.J. Jake Greenbaum won a critical five-game, tie-breaking match for the win.

The men beat Hamilton College 6-3 Saturday and Northwestern 6-3 Friday. Head Coach Simon Harrington said his team exceeded the goals they set at the beginning of the season.

The team also won the Most Improved Team Award and former GW club coach Charles Elliot was honored for a lifetime achievement and elected into the Squash Hall of Fame.
-Lauren Silva

Inaugural softball game postponed
The GW softball team’s inaugural game Saturday was canceled due to snow. Their home opener will now be this Friday, as the team relocated their series against Colgate University to D.C. instead of New York.
-Lauren Silva