Around Campus

Muslims celebrate religious awareness
Islam Awareness Week kicks off Sunday with a community service event and ends with a prayer service and coffee night Friday, Feb. 28. The service will take place at the Western Presbyterian Church at 24th and G streets at 12:50 p.m. After praying, all are invited to attend the annual coffee night, featuring skits, poetry and entertainment. The event is in Marvin Center 302 at 8 p.m.

Panels throughout the week include “Islam 101: Myths and Facts” in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Monday at 8 p.m., “Women in Islam” in Marvin Center 101 Tuesday at 8 p.m. and “The True Face of Jihad” featuring Sheikh Daoud Nassimi in Marvin Center 308 Thursday at 8 p.m.

Kogan Plaza is the site of an “Islam Around the World” event Wednesday from 12 noon to 4 p.m., when students can learn how Islam is practiced in different countries.

The purpose of the event is for Muslims to educate the campus community about the Islamic faith and hopefully remove any misconceptions, organizers said.

This year’s theme is “The true face of Islam.”

University accepts GW Award nominees
The Joint Committee of Faculty and Students will accept nominees for its 27th annual GW Award until March 7 at 5 p.m. All faculty, staff and students are eligible for the award.

Candidates are judged on their contribution to GW’s relationship to D.C., enhancing and developing students’ abilities, providing a balanced program of student extracurricular activities or demonstrating exceptional competence, integrity and goodwill in performing University responsibilities.

Those wishing to submit a nomination can pick up a form and rules in Marvin Center 427 or the first floor lobbies of the Academic Center, Marvin Center and Rice Hall. Completed forms should be mailed to the GW Award Selection Committee of the Joint Committee of Faculty and Students; c/o Associate Vice President and Dean of Students Office, Rice Hall, Suite 401, Washington, D.C. 20052.

Major fair hits campus
In its second annual majors fair, Services for Students in Transition gives students advice on how to choose their paths of study. The free event is in Strong Hall from 1 to 4 p.m. Friday.

Students can get personality tests and talk to representatives from academic departments and the Majors Advising Council.

This event is being co-sponsored by the sophomore class council and
the University counseling center.

Mental health conference hosts universities
The University of Pennsylvania’s “Mental Health on Campus” conference will give students across the country a chance to learn about mental health issues and how to start a mental health organization on campus, organizer Dan Levin said.

The conference, hosted by UPenn’s Open Minds student group, will take place March 28-30 on UPenn’s Philadelphia campus. Interested GW students can get free housing and possibly be reimbursed for travel expenses, Levin said.

The weekend will consist of lectures, interactive workshops and small group discussions.

For more information or to register, e-mail Levin at [email protected] or Jamie Diaz at [email protected].

University Club offers student dinners
Students can get a break from J Street and Thurston Dining Hall Tuesday nights, when the University Club holds weekly student dinners. The menu includes hamburgers, garden burgers, salads and barbecue chicken. Desserts are strawberry short cake, sundaes and the “cake of the day.”

-Julie Gordon