Robber slashes GW employee

A GW employee was reportedly slashed in the face during an attempted robbery early Friday morning at 21st Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, according to a University Police crime alert.

UPD and Metropolitan Police searched the area but failed to locate the assailant.

The attempted robbery marks the third time in three weeks an assailant has robbed or has attempted to rob a member of the GW community on campus. UPD chief Dolores Stafford was unavailable for comment over the weekend.

At about 1 a.m., the assailant approached the employee while he was attempting to hail a taxicab and demanded money. A fight ensued and the employee was cut in the face. The assailant then fled the scene.

The employee had been drinking at TGI Friday’s since 8 p.m. that night, said Autumn Garrison-House, a manager at TGI Friday’s.

Garrison-House said restaurant employees did not witness the incident, but the man attempted to re-enter the restaurant after it closed and said someone had cut him in the face. Employees tended to the man until MPD arrived.

“We couldn’t get a lot out of him,” said Garrison-House. “He just told us someone had cut him in the face.”

Police are looking for a black male, 40-45 years of age, approximately 5 feet, 10 inches to 6 feet tall and weighing about 180-195 pounds. The subject was reportedly wearing dark clothes and a dark hat. MPD Lt. Joseph Trippi said the suspect was armed with a knife and the assailant may be homeless.

Last week, a male student was reportedly robbed at 23rd and G streets. A female student was robbed at 21st and G streets Jan. 24.