Staff Editorial: Let us know

The director of the FBI said colleges and universities may be targets of the next terrorist attacks. The country is on the second highest threat-level for an attack. Yet, the University remains at normal alert level. The University, especially the newly created Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management, should be more proactive in letting students know what the danger is and how they should be prepared.

GW has an online incident response manual, but it is poorly publicized to students, who may be clueless about what to do in case of an emergency, especially a terrorist attack.

GW is among the most vulnerable universities in the country because of its proximity to potential targets such as the White House and national monuments. Assistant Vice President for Public Safety and Emergency Management John Petrie said he receives constant calls from parents about student safety and preparedness. He would make his life easier by getting this information out to students and parents, who are becoming justifiably paranoid in the current atmosphere.

The University sends out e-mails about things such as snow days and academic deadlines. It would be prudent for GW to at least send out an e-mail alerting students of the current threat to D.C. and what they can do in case of an emergency.