Movies to set the mood

Valentine’s Day isn’t the bed of roses Hallmark makes it out to be. If you’re with someone, then there’s a lot of pressure to come up with the perfect way to show them how you feel. If you’re alone, then the holiday can be a giant festering reminder of your loneliness. No matter what your status is, do yourself a favor and ignore the hype and the commercialism, save yourself a few bucks and a headache and curl up with a good movie.

If you’re in a long-term relationship
Here’s a thought, get a love story without a happy ending. Movies in which the two lovers don’t end up together have lots of drama and tension (good for snuggling) and the bittersweet end will make you both appreciate what you have even more. Check out Ghost, Casablanca or Life is Beautiful.

If you’re in new realtionship or if you’re trying to start one
If you’re not serious about each other, then don’t get a serious movie; you’ll kill the mood. This is where romantic comedies come in – a good one will leave you both feeling warm and fuzzy, but won’t overwhelm you. As a rule of thumb, take Julia Roberts over Sandra Bullock and John Cusack over Hugh Grant whenever possible, and check out: When Harry met Sally, Roxanne, French Kiss or Amelie.

If you’re a guy and you’re alone this year
There are two paths to take in this situation. If you’re recently alone, or if you’re just frustrated as of late, then by all means stay home but don’t waste your time dwelling on the situation with movies about other lonely guys. Remind yourself that you’re better off alone with a movie that shows just how overrated love can be: The Maltese Falcon, Scent of a Woman, Almost Famous. Or if you’re alone and couldn’t care less then invite the guys over and forget that the holiday even exists with the films Fistful of Dollars, Reservoir Dogs or The Big Lebowski.

If you’re a woman and you’re alone this year
There’s no point to watching sappy romantic movies, so really you have two choices. You can decide that men suck and go out and find a movie that proves the point. There’s always Chasing Amy, Peggy Sue Got Married, and the mother of them all, Thelma and Louise. But if you’ve realized that you’re happier alone, then Valentines Day can also be a good excuse to celebrate friendship … after all, friendship is a kind of love, right? Why not invite some friends and watch Circle of Friends, Beaches or Waiting to Exhale.
Whatever your situation, try to stay away from period dramas, movies about high school, Freddie Prinze, Jr., and the worst romantic movie ever, Mr. Wrong.