AROUND CAMPUS

Trashcan fire forces MPA evacuation

A trash can fire at the Media and Public Affairs building Thursday afternoon kept students out of class for about 30 minutes.

The fire occurred in a trashcan on the third floor of the building, but the cause was undetermined as of Friday night, said University Police Chief Dolores Stafford.

Stafford said the fire department would investigate the cause of the fire. Students re-entered the building at 4:08 p.m.

Another evacuation, at about 10:30 a.m., occurred at the MPA building that morning. Stafford and Victor Palmer, a firefighter, both said they were not summoned for the earlier alarm.

Fire officials routinely dispatched four fire engines, two trucks and 16 firefighters to the scene, Palmer said.

-Julie Gordon

GW Review seeks senior submissions

The GW Review is looking for submissions for its annual Senior Contest. Works will be considered in three categories: short fiction, poetry, and artwork.

One student in each category will have their work published in the spring issue of the literary magazine.

Seniors can send submissions to [email protected] or take them to Marvin Center room 431 by March 10.

Students should attach a brief cover letter with short biographical and contact information.

Teach for America screens documentary

Teach for America will sponsor a free screening of a CNN documentary detailing the challenges facing four new teachers as they begin to teach at some of the toughest schools in the nation Tuesday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.

The documentary will give students interested in participating in the program a clearer vision of what it means to become a teacher right out of college and offers a unique view on the problems facing education in America today.

The event is open to all students and will be held in Marvin Center room 405.

Stress relief taught at MVC

This week’s Coping with Stress Series at the Mount Vernon Campus will feature self-massage techniques.

The event will be held Tuesday from 7 to 8 p.m. in Eckles Library.

A trained massage therapist will teach participants ways to relieve their own stress through self-massage.

NFL Redskin to speak

Former Redskins defensive back Brig Owens will speak about the Superbowl, the Redskins and his career Wednesday from 12 to 1:30 p.m. at the University Club.

A 13-year veteran of the NFL, Owen is one of the “70 Greatest Redskins.” He holds the second spot for most passes intercepted by a Redskin (36) and holds career records for most yards on interception returns (686) and interceptions returned for touchdowns.

Owens will speak as part of the “In the Know” speaker series. The event costs $16.95. Contact Angela at 994-9559 for reservations.

-Rachel Gould

Hillel hosts Mambo Monday

Hillel will offer free salsa dancing lessons Monday from 7 to 9 p.m. The event will feature South American cuisine and participants will learn about the economic crisis in Argentina and the response from the Jewish community.

The event is open to all students and is sponsored by the United Jewish Community Campus Campaign.

“The event is open to anyone who is hungry to dance,” event co-chair sophomore Melanie Vant said.

-Andrew Snow