SA Senate Notes

Daleo responds to allegations
Executive Vice President Eric Daleo publicly responded at Tuesday’s meeting to recent allegations by Sen. Mark Hershfield (Law) that he inappropriately used Student Association funds to finance the GW Farmer’s Market without Senate approval. Stating he “believe(s) we followed the proper channels” in planning the event, Daleo also noted that he was “sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication with regard to the (Farmer’s Market) expenditure.”

The most recent SA debate took a more public turn when senior Jared Moskowitz called for Hershfield’s resignation on behalf of the student body. Sighting Hershfield’s involvement in bringing the Farmer’s Market spending issue to light right before the impending SA election, Moskowitz said he was circulating a petition, which requires the signatures of 10 percent of law students, to ensure Hershfield’s removal.

“After four years of being at GW, its about time the SA became concerned with students and not with themselves,” Moskowitz said.

Senate passes mid-year allocations
The SA passed the mid-year allocations bill Tuesday, which reevaluates the SA’s distribution of funds to current student organizations and distributes funds to new student groups.

Many student organizations lost money following reevaluation, including the Student Bar Association ($2,536.17), the Pan-Hellenic Association ($1,274.10) and the GW Journal ($1,050). Only four groups received an increase in funding at the mid-year break, including Delta Sigma Pi ($100), Hope Bible Study ($100), the Hawaii Club ($75) and the Out Crowd ($50).

In addition to these increases, the SA also appropriated an additional $100 each to more than 30 new student organizations.

Senate Finance Committee Chair Dan Moss said mid-year allocations went smoothly.

“Usually when student groups are unhappy they show up en mass,” Moss said. “So I’d take student groups’ relatively quiet reaction as a sign of our success.”

-T. Neil Sroka