Swimming and diving teams lose regular season finales

The GW men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams ended the regular season Saturday with two home losses at the Smith Center to a deep and talented George Mason squad. The men lost 159-105 to go winless (0-10) for the season and the women (4-6) lost 153-126.

After setting a new school record in the 200-yard backstroke Wednesday, Freshman Maggie Moss continued her success, winning both the 200-yard backstroke (2:07.03) and the 100-yard backstroke (59.32) Saturday. Moss also played a part as GW won the 400-yard freestyle medley (3:37.34) alongside senior Ashley Orchard, junior Kristen Fagley, and freshman Christina Boland.

“The team did a great job (Saturday),” head coach Dan Rhinehart said. “It’s a long season and it starts to wear on you about now.”

Boland, Fagley, and junior Ruth Dubyel were also victorious on the individual level as Boland raced to first place in 200-yard freestyle (1:56.06), Fagley won the 500-yard freestyle (5:08.95), and Dubyel won the 100-yard butterfly (58.14).

For the men’s team, freshman Sean Kernan had a coming out performance as he won two races. Kernan earned first place honors in the 50-yard freestyle (21.75) and the 100-yard freestyle. Sophomore Bryan Ferretti added to GW’s good day in the freestyle stroke as he took first place in the 500-yard freestyle (4:46.14).

The diving portion of the meet was held at George Mason, but it was GW junior Robert Stuart who won the three-meter diving (258.60). The Colonial men, although soundly out-manned and out-skilled, finished the regular season with a victory in the 400-yard freestyle relay as both Kernan and Ferretti teamed up for the win (3:15.92).

“You’ve got to love those freshmen,” Rhinehart said about the performances of Kernan and Moss. “Sean (Kernan) has been working on a learning curve all year and now it’s finally coming together. Maggie (Moss) has been very consistent all year and she has been fighting some sickness. The way she keeps plugging away, I’m very excited about it.”

Team captain Liza Catallozzi, Shauna McBrearty, Orchard, and David Dillehay were all honored as part of the senior day festivities.

“January is a test of your mental toughness and I think the way they raced today showed that we’re ready to go,” Rhinehart said. “We’re looking forward to the Atlantic 10 championships.”

The conference championships start Feb. 20 in Buffalo, NY.

Richmond 183, GW 108
Wednesday, Jan. 29

Moss set a new school record in the 200-yard backstroke Wednesday at Smith Center against Richmond with a time of 2:04.71. The new record was made even more special by the fact that three of Richmond’s swimmers hold the top three times in the event this season.

“For me, sometimes you can’t go out to race another person,” Moss said. “You just have to race the clock and just try to go as fast as you can every time.”

Moss’ victory wasn’t enough, however, as the GW swimming and diving teams stumbled to a sizeable defeat. The Colonials lost 183-108 to their Atlantic 10 rivals as the Spiders tallied 12 first-place finishes out of 16 events.

Richmond sophomore standout Mary Adams took first place in all of her events, which included the 100-yard breaststroke (1:07.12), 200-yard breaststroke (2:21.61), and the 200-yard individual medley (2:05.50). Richmond freshman Brooke Boncher also earned three first-place finishes along with classmate Anne Kirchner.

On a high note for the Colonials, sophomore Jessica Jaross and senior Ashley Orchard took home first place finishes in the one-meter diving and 100-yard freestyle (54.75), respectively.