Battle of the sexes

Question: I met this girl a couple weeks ago who is really smart and has a great personality. But she’s not pretty at all, so I’m wondering is it possible to date someone that you are embarrassed to be with in public? ~Not-so-Hot Girlfriend

Chick: This all depends on you and your standards of what is good girlfriend material. It’s possible to date someone you are not attracted to, but the real question is, do you want to? If you can’t imagine kissing this girl or you’re planning on keeping your relationship “secret,” then please do this girl a favor and don’t date her. No one deserves to be with someone who is ashamed of him/her, and to treat this girl like Quasimodo when you’re together in public is a cruel thing to do. If, however, you believe that you can get over the fact that she will never be a Miss America contestant and that you can be satisfied by and attracted to her “great personality,” give this girl a chance. Maybe, this “frog” could turn out to be a real princess.

Dick: How are a moped and an ugly girl the same? They are both fun to ride until your friends find out. I’d say you are stuck between a rock and a hard on. You just have to weigh whether your enjoyment with her outweighs the amount of laughter from your friends. Having an ugly girlfriend is a cardinal sin and should not be looked upon lightly. I’m sure she is beautiful on the inside, and that’s worth something, but let’s be real here – how many ugly people are successful in this world? The facts of life are that ugly people have a rough go at it, and by dating one you are basically signing your soul over to the ugly world. The next thing you know, you’ll break up with her and date one of her ugly friends. It’s like an addiction – it’s hard to break the cycle. At least she is nice and will comfort you with her man hands and kiss you with her hideous lips when you come crying home after your friends make fun of you.

Question I’m a girl but I have a lot of male friends and find that I get along much better with guys than girls. But, when I meet a new guy that I decide I just want to be friends with (I really do, I’m not just saying that), they sometimes get offended as if I played them. I’m afraid this guy will think of me as a tease because I call him to hang out all the time but we don’t hook up. I realize I don’t owe him anything and I don’t think I’m sending the wrong signals. How can I make sure he gets the right message? ~All Buddy-Buddy

Chick: This is tricky, because it can be really hard not to misinterpret someone’s friendliness as flirtiness if you like them; so just because you don’t think you flirt with him doesn’t mean that he doesn’t read into your actions that way. Do you guys snuggle while watching movies? Do you do a lot of one-on-one stuff, such as going to lunch or dinner just the two of you? All of this might sound innocent enough to you, but who knows that this guy doesn’t subscribe to the whole When Harry Met Sally idea: that boys and girls can never be friends because sex always gets in the way? Treat him like you would any other (girl) friend and ask for guy advice concerning a crush – at least then he’ll get the idea that you’re attracted to other guys. You might also want to think about not spending all your time with this guy or do more group activities so it’s not just the two of you.

Dick: Guys are never going to be thrilled about the fact that they aren’t getting any. You could go for friends with benefits, that is always a good option when put up against the platonic option. Also, you are a girl, you have breasts. I guarantee he sees it as flirting – breasts are like the ultimate form of flirting and just having them makes you flirtatious. The only way for you to be sure that he gets the right message is either to hook up with him (your best option) or to talk to him, which is real lame and will cause a serious decline in your relationship. If he is not actually trying to jump in your pants, then you don’t have a problem and shouldn’t worry about it as much as you are.