Around Campus

New Hall rooms flood

Water from a broken pipe flooded most of the New Hall first floor Saturday night, sending students scrambling to rescue soggy belongings and shower elsewhere before going out for the evening.

University officials said a ruptured water pipe, which was poorly insulated against the recent cold weather, burst and caused the flood.

At 4:30 p.m. junior Christina Savage said she was in her room doing homework when water started to seep through the front door.

“I had to quickly unplug all the electric appliances and take everything off of the floor,” Savage said. “I’m just lucky I was home when it started, or else everything would have been ruined.”

Maintenance workers were initially unable to locate the shutoff valve for the broken pipe, and temporarily shut off water for the whole building while they isolated the burst pipe. The flood receded at about 7:30 p.m. as cleaning crews began removing water from the floor.

Several students were relocated to other residence halls for the night. Students can be reimbursed for damaged property by contacting Property Management Services, said Tim Rice, property management leader for New Hall.

-Michael Barnett

Neighbor’s Project looks for coordinators

Students interested in becoming a Neighbor’s Project Service Coordinator for the coming year can attend information sessions Monday at 5:30 p.m. in the Mitchell Hall theater, Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the Mount Vernon Eckles Library or Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in Marvin Center room 404.

The Neighbor’s Project is looking for student leaders to work 15 hours a week at a variety of sights focusing on education, heath, community development, disability and public service.

For more information stop by the Office of Community Service in Marvin Center room 436 or go to www.neighborsproject.org. Applications for coordinator positions are due by noon on Monday, Feb. 10.

Common Cause fights for D.C. representation

Common Cause GWU, a student chapter of the national advocacy organization, is looking for students to help their efforts rallying for the enfranchisement of the District of Columbia.

“Taxation without representation” graces license plates all over the District, but Common Cause is on a campaign to raise student awareness of the lack of D.C. voting power in Congress.

Common Cause meets Mondays at 7 p.m. For more information contact Tim Persico at [email protected].

Graham Colton plays at Marvin Center

Graham Colton, a rock band, is coming back to GW with a performance featuring special guest Stepanian on Friday, Jan. 31.

Graham Colton has performed twice at GW just this year, opening for John Mayer during Welcome Week and the Counting Crows in October.

The performance, hosted by GW Program Board and WRGW, will be held in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom

Tickets are $8 at the door and may be purchased in advance at Ticketmaster.

Teach for America seeks applicants

Teach for America, a national organization that sends college graduates to teach for two years in urban and rural areas in need of help, will hold an information session Monday from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in Marvin Center 307.

No education coursework is required. Students will receive full teacher’s salary and benefits.

Sessions are open to all students regardless if applying for positions in the program. For more information go to teachforamerica.org.

Ballet hits Lisner

Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras, one of Spain’s hottest contemporary flamenco groups will perform Tuesday at 8 p.m. at Lisner auditorium.

The show , titled Mariana Pineda, is a large-scale production featuring 13 musicians and 10 dancer, and an original score by Manolo Sanlucar.

Tickets are $20 for students and are available the Lisner Auditorium Box Office.

PB holds spring film series

The Program Board has announced the films included in its Annual Spring Film Series.

Soul Food will be shown in collaboration with the Black Student Union in celebration of Black History Month on Feb. 6, and Love and Basketball will presented during the winter homecoming celebration Feb. 13.

A series entitled Six Degrees of Separation will trace Hollywood movie connections and will culminate with Footloose, staring Kevin Bacon.

International Week will be celebrated with a screening of the French film Amelie.

Admission to all films is free for GW students. For a complete listing of spring semester films and dates go to www.pb.gwu.edu.