MPD looks for G Street thief

Metropolitan Police are investigating a rash of burglaries in offices in GW buildings on G Street between 20th and 21st streets.

The first two burglaries occurred Dec. 9, 2002, when faculty offices in Stuart Hall and the Law School’s Clinics Building were forcibly broken into, according to a University Police Department crime report. Among the items taken were a digital camera and a laptop.

On Jan. 9, a laptop was taken from a faculty office in Lisner Hall. Later that day, an office in the Clinics Building was forcibly broken into and $2 in change was taken from a drawer.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said the doors of the offices had been pried open and some of the drawers had been rummaged through.

Employees have been instructed to report any suspicious individuals in the building to UPD, Stafford said.

She also said the burglaries were similar and followed a “definite pattern.”

MPD and UPD are currently looking for a “suspicious individual,” possibly a homeless person, reportedly seen in the Clinic Building at approximately the same time the robberies occurred.

The individual is a black male, 18 to 30 years old, with black corn-rowed hair and a beard. He was seen wearing a red jacket and carrying a black duffel bag.

” We haven’t increased patrols in the area (in response to the burglaries),” Stafford said, noting that UPD officers already patrol the area three or four times in an eight-hour shift.

-Michael Barnett