Around Campus

Webmail looks for new name

Information Systems and Services is asking students, faculty and staff to choose a new name for the GW e-mail system. Webmail, GW’s current system, will be replaced throughout the spring semester and should be finished by the end of the school year.

Entries can be made until Jan. 20 by clicking on gweb.gwu.edu/mod/survey/gwms/gwmailsurvey.cfm. ISS will then narrow down the list to five names, which the GW community will vote on from Jan. 24 to 31 on GWeb.

The winner will receive a $200 gift certificate to Amazon.com. ISS will announce the system’s new name Feb. 10.

Rapper dishes with students

Leader and co-founder of rap group Public Enemy Chuck D will speak to students Monday night in Lisner Auditorium from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. The artist is set to talk about race, rage and inequality. The free event is in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

Besides working with Public Enemy, the rapper started the SLAMJamz label in 1996 and wrote “Fight the Power,” a book that discusses the “post-millennium hip hop mind.”

Students can pick up tickets at Ticketmaster.

Students celebrate Chinese New Year

Students from around the District are invited to the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom Saturday night to celebrate of the Chinese New Year.

The annual festivities, put on by GW’s Chinese Student and Scholar Association, is co-hosted by the CSSAs from Catholic, George Mason and Georgetown universities.

Students will ring in the Year of the Ram from 7:30 p.m. to midnight.

Campus screens popular movies

Thursday’s Coffeehouse Cinema at the Mount Vernon Campus will feature recent blockbuster “Igby Goes Down” from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the MVC Pub and Grill.

Free coffee and hot chocolate will accompany the Program Board-sponsored flick, and tickets are free with a GWorld card. One guest per ID is allowed.

The Marvin Center third floor amphitheater will also host a film Thursday night, “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Admission is free.

Clothing company holds sample sale

Clothing line Alice + Olivia will hold a “Pants Party Sample Sale” Friday at a GW student’s apartment. Pants that sell for about $300 retail will be marked down to between $125 and $150.

The sale will take place at The Phoenix, at 1117 New Hampshire Ave., Apt. 4. from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. About 200 shoppers are expected.

Alice + Olivia started two years ago when one of its founders couldn’t find a pair of pants that was small enough for her. The line carries sizes zero to 12.

For more information about the company and to find out where the line is sold around the world, visit www.aliceandolivia.com.

National History Day looks for mentors

The Historical Society of Washington is currently recruiting mentors for the National History Day program, a year-long service that encourages D.C. students to studying academics.

Mentors will help students prepare for National History Day presentations they will make in June. They will assist participants with papers, preparing performances and creating exhibitions for the day.

For more information, call History Day Coordinator Helena Sweet at 785-2068, extension 108 or e-mail her at [email protected]. Mentors must be available for at least five hours per week and attend a training session Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Historical Society of Washington, D.C.

-Julie Gordon

GW offers trips for basketball fans

The University is sponsoring several rewards for dedicated GW basketball fans this season. Beginning with the men’s game against Dayton Saturday, students will be able to swipe their GWorld cards at home games to enter a drawing for two trips to Europe or the Final Four. The 100 students who attend the most games will be entered to win.

At each game, GW will also award two students courtside seats at the next game. For more information, call 994-7210. For the men’s and women’s basketball schedules, check gwhatchet.dreamhost.com/basketball.

-Kate Stepan