Out of Bounds: Women’s basketball game notes

The Colonials’ win over Saint Bonaventure gave head coach Joe McKeown his 300th career victory at GW. Now in his 14th season at the helm, McKeown already holds the title as the Atlantic 10’s winningest coach with a 368-135 career record.

Senior red-shirt Cathy Joens, who averaged more than 19 points a game over the Colonials’ first five games, sunk to nine points a game over the team’s last six. She is now the team’s second-leading scorer behind junior center Ugo Oha and ranks 12th in the conference.

Three-year starter Erica Lawrence and sophomore Liz Dancause have both been hindered with injuries of late, severely limiting practice time. Lawrence, suffering a wrist injury, has not started since Dec. 29 and has averaged just over eight points a game. Former high school All American Dancause, suffering from stress fractures, played in only three games during the break, averaging just five minutes a game.

Junior Valerie Williams, who averaged three points in just over eight minutes a game last season, is stepping up off the bench, averaging more than six points a game in 14 minutes a game. The forward set a career high with her 18 points versus Fairfield Jan. 4, shooting 7-for-9 from the field.

Turnovers have been the biggest thorn in the Colonials’ side recently. Even in their latest four wins, the Colonials have averaged 23 turnovers a game, including a season-high 27 against Temple.

Lauren Silva