Out of Bounds: Men’s basketball game notes

Junior point guard Darnell Miller injured his wrist last month and is expected to miss the rest of the season. Miller averaged less than one point per game in nearly 12 minutes per game before suffering the injury.

Senior Chris Monroe leads the Colonials and the Atlantic 10 in scoring at 20.8 points per game. Reaching 1,932 career points Saturday at La Salle, Monroe passed Mike Brown (’85) to move into second place on GW’s all-time scoring list. He now needs just 295 points to pass Joe Holup (’56) as GW’s all-time leading scorer.

Sophomore T.J. Thompson has emerged as one of the top point guards in the conference, improving from 9.8 points per game last year to 13.2 in 2002-03. His 6.8 assists per game rank 11th in the nation.

Forward Mike Hall is the early standout of GW’s freshman class, named A-10 Rookie of the Week in December. His 10.5 points per game rank third on the team and his 9.1 rebounds per game are second-best in the conference.

After finishing among the worst teams in the A-10 in rebounding last season, the Colonials have improved their presence in the paint and have been out-rebounded by opponents in only four games this season.

Defense and turnovers, however, remain two of GW’s weaknesses. GW is allowing 71.8 points per game and is averaging 15.8 turnovers per game, putting them ahead of only two teams in each category, Fordham and Duquesne.

Brian Costa