Swimmers and divers close year at Old Dominion Invite

Old Dominion University won six events to defeat GW men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams in the Monarch’s own invitational Saturday at the J.C. Scrap pool in Norfolk, Va.

The invite welcomed both GW and Drexel universities. The Colonial men also lost to Drexel University while the women edged out the Dragons.

The men’s swimming team lost to ODU 93-137 and to Drexel 90-149 while the women were narrowly edged by ODU 114-117 but beat the Dragons 154-77.

The Colonials’ losses in their final meet of 2002 came after a successful outing at the three-day-long Patriot Invitational, hosted by George Mason Nov. 21-23. The women’s swimming team turned out a fifth place finish while the men finished sixth.

Junior Andrew DeSorbo and freshman Mark Adam earned two Atlantic 10 awards for their performances at the invite.

DeSorbo placed ninth overall in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:55.22, the best in the A-10 so far this season. He also won the 200-yard butterfly consolation race.

Adam won the bonus consolation race in the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:00.01, a personal best and second-fastest time in the conference.

Previous challenges this season have included the Colonials’ home meet against East Carolina Nov. 16, where both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were downed by the Pirates. ECU beat the men in swimming events, 140-81, and the women, 140-97.

Prior to facing ECU, the men suffered a 137-97 loss to Navy the previous week.