Hospitalization numbers up

More students have been hospitalized for alcohol-related incidents through November than the entire 2001-2002 academic year. University officials are calling the increase a positive sign, noting that more students are willing to call University Police for intoxicated friends.

Forty-four students were hospitalized by the end of November, while a total of 43 students went to the hospital all of last year, according to Student Judicial Services records.

“There are now more hospitalizations because students are now more willing to call (UPD) for their friends,” said Brian Hamluk, manager of the Substance Abuse Center and director of the Center for Alcohol and Drug Education.

Officials also attribute the rise in hospitalizations to a drug awareness campaign targeted at freshmen.

Hamluk estimated that at least half of this year’s total alcohol violations have involved freshmen. The campaign included “Real Deal” drug and alcohol education sessions and skits relating to alcohol use at Colonial Inauguration. About 75 to 100 students attended the sessions, according
to CADE.

Officials said the rise in hospitalizations proves that students are becoming more responsible for their friends’ actions.

Some students, however, said more students are drinking larger quantities of alcohol, which can lead to hospitalizations.

“There has been more serious drinking – more binge drinking,” sophomore Carole Emory said.

“People do not know their own limits,” freshman Ravi Alfreds said.
Some other students said hospitalizations are a result of UPD presence on campus.

“I think that (the increase is a result of) a mix of UPD taking a more aggressive stance and friends who have received alcohol education,” sophomore Kate Gillespie said.

After UPD officers or other authorities determine that a student needs medical attention, the student is immediately transported to the GW Hospital for a detoxification session, according to an Oct. 28 Hatchet article.

In correlation with an increase in hospitalizations, the number of students attending the “Last Call” sessions, which follow a first-time severe offense, has grown from 45 in fall 2001 to 79 so far this semester.

A first offense for a severe violation involves a “Last Call” session, $100 fine, non-academic disciplinary probation, deferred cancellation of residence hall license agreement and parental notification.

Some students said educational sessions and common sense fuel students’ decisions to call authorities when there is a severe problem.

“I’m in a fraternity and we’ve only had one visit from UPD, so I think that students are calling up for their friends,” senior Eric Yassenoff said. “If you’re a good friend, you’ll call up.”

“If I saw that my friend was in bad shape and I did not call, it would be on my conscience,” sophomore Vedant Koppera said.

Some other students said they don’t think students call authorities but instead let UPD or other authorities find the students.

“Most friends are too aware of the dangers of alcohol, (but) they let their friends pass out on the bed,” sophomore William Porter said.