Holiday Gift Guide

‘Twas the holiday season and all through Foggy Bottom, not a creature was stirring, it was the end of autumn. Stockings were hung by chimneys with care, from Long Island to Jersey, Los Angeles and Bel Air. Students were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of iPods danced in their heads.

Well ladies and gentlemen, its that time of year again. Time to reach into your shallow college student pockets and shop for holiday gifts for friends and family. At a loss for ideas for presents in your price range? Just can’t think of something original to give? Feel the holidays creeping up faster than you can buy gifts? Suddenly finals are here and you’ve run out of free time. You’ll go home for the holidays empty handed and face being sent back to a lonely District. So go sell back your books, pocket the cash and head out to the stores – the thinking has been done for you. Simply read on and consider these suggestions for great holiday gifts to meet your every holiday gift-giving need.

Spent all your money on beer
Parents
Mom
Keep her warm this winter with an economical and fashionable scarf
and glove set from United Colors of
Benneton.

Dad
Subscription to Golf magazine.
Come on, whose dad doesn’t like golf?

Both
Coffee and tea assortment. Head over to J
Street and use those extra meal points at Starbucks.
Stock up on teas, coffees and snacks to create a great
gift basket without spending any cash.
CD Mix. Costs less than $1 and you can show your parents you do have good taste in music.

Siblings
Brother
System of a Down, “Steal this Album.” Following the overwhelming success of last year’s “Toxicity,” politcally aware rockers System of a Down released their new CD just in time for the holidays to rave reviews.
Fuzzy Dice. A classic for the older brother who loves his car or the younger sibling just itching to get his driver’s license.

Sister
Bobbi Brown lip gloss. The perfect gift for any female that will make lips feel luscious.
Mary-Kate and Ashley Olson’s “Getting There.” There’s no getting around it. Little girls love this syrupy sweet duo. Indulge their hankering for the former “Full House” cast members by buying them the pair’s latest video.

Friends
Male
Zippo lighter. A classic and classy answer to
the ever-present question, “Do you have a light?” and it may force them to think up a new, more creative pick up line.

Worked on the weekends
Parents
Mom
“Les Miserables” tickets. The classic musical is showing at the National Theater from now until Jan. 6. Use your Student Advantage discount to get her a seat in the orchestra without going over budget.
Sharper Image foot massager. Mom will think it’s the next best thing to a professional pedicure.

Dad
St. Andrew’s golf club covers (see left).
“John Adams,” by David McCullogh. If he liked “Truman,” he’ll love reading about the United States’ second president.

Siblings
Brother
The Sims Unleashed. It is the latest Sims expansion pack.
Spiderman Skyrider play set. Hop on the Spiderman bandwagon and get this play set for your little bro.

Sister
Steve Madden fuzzy slippers.
J. Crew crewneck sweater. Priced for the holiday season, they make a fashionable and affordable gift that any girl would love to keep her warm.

friends
Male
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The fourth edition to the GTA fam-
ily, Vice City is on the top of every gamer’s wish list. Be sure to confirm
that the recipient has Playstation 2, as that’s the only system for which
Vice City is available.
Dirty Minds. Make your friends embarrass themselves and say things they never thought they’d never say with this out of control party game.

Female
Retro style, turquoise jewelry. Very in style this year.
Coach Key Chain – You may have noticed a substantial number of girls carrying coach change purse key chains this past semester, and with good reason. These accessories are fashionable and practical for carrying money, keys and even providing a perfect slot to hold a GWorld card.

Significant other
-Boyfriend
Simpsons Seasons One and Two DVDs, though you may have trouble getting him to leave the room for the next few months.
-Girlfriend
One Dozen long stem roses, in her favorite color of course.
Dolce and Gabana Light Blu Perfume – A gentle, light scent that suits any woman and will make any boyfriend look like a sweetheart.

Had a paid internship ($50-$100)
Parent
-Mom
Victoria’s Secret Terrycloth Robe – Keep mom cozy and warm with a luxurious robe this winter
-Dad
Ryobi Cordless Drill Kit
Burberry Socks – high fashion that keeps your toes warm.

Sibling
-Brother
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set – Your younger brother will love receiving the entire, collected works of J.K. Rowling with the first four installments of the Harry Potter series in collectable hardcover (don’t tell your older brother we said so).
-Sister
Tiffany’s key chain is always a classic.
Urban Outfitters Shearling Coat – Pick up this trendy accessory to keep your sister warm and in style.

Friend
-Male
Swiss Army Knife – It cuts, it opens beers and some even have screwdrivers, what else to you need?
-Female
Nomination Bracelet – A personal and thoughtful gift for a girl you care about, including personalized links that spell out her name.
-Either
Lord of the Rings extended DVD – The Lord of the Rings craze that began last December has endured all the way to this year. Take advantage of it by buying the new extended DVD with extra scenes for any Lord of the Rings fan who’s dying to see just a little bit more of the Fellowship.

Significant Other
-Male
Armani Mania Cologne – Georgio Armani’s new scent for men is the ideal gift for a boyfriend or brother. It’s a personal gift that won’t break the bank.
Guess Watch – perfect for everyday wear.
-Female
Tiffany and Co. Elsa Peretti Eternity Necklace – Show her how long you’ll love her with this beautiful and symbolic piece of jewelry.
-Either
Motorola T720 cell phone – The latest in cell phone trends, the T720 comes equipped with a color screen, downloadable games and ring tones and eight different options for color covers. The envy of all cell phone owners.

Are mommy and daddy buying their own gifts? ($100 and up)
Parents
-Mom
Prada Checkbook cover – Now mom can look like a big spender no matter what she’s buying (including a GW tuition).
Burberry Scarf – The must have accessory this winter.
-Dad
Cole Haan Watch – So Dad can be home on time and in style.
FugiFilm Finepix 2650 digital camera – With 3x optical zoom, 2x digital zoom and 2.0 mega pixels, this top of the line digital camera makes a great gift that keeps on giving.

Siblings
-Brother
Ipod – Apple’s Ipod MP3 player can hold up to 400 tracks.
X-Box, Gamecube or Playststion 2 – Want to see your brother cry? Pick up any one of these three systems, he’ll be so happy he’ll burst into tears.
-Sister
Marc Jacobs Charm Bracelet – This season’s trendiest charm bracelet.

Friends
-Male
North Face Fleece – One thing that inevitably comes with the holiday season is frigid winter weather. Help friends and family to guard against the cold with this pricey but warm and stylish fleece.
-Female
Juicy Couture velour sweat suit – This trendy hoodie and pants set is available in every color imaginable and can come embroidered with the recipient’s initials.

Significant Other
-Boyfriend
Oakley Sunglasses – OK, so it might not be sunglasses season, but come spring, he’ll have sunglasses that block UV rays and make him look great.
Diesel Jeans
-Girlfriend
David Yurman Bracelet – She is bound to love this silver and gold cuff bracelet.