Around the Nation

Mayor steals UC-Berkeley newspapers

(U-WIRE) BERKELEY, Calif. – Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates admitted responsibility for stealing and trashing about 1,000 copies of The Daily Californian that carried the student newspaper’s endorsement of his opponent, police said Thursday.

Bates, who earlier denied stealing the newspapers, released a statement Thursday apologizing for his involvement in the theft.

“There is no question that tossing newspapers is absolutely inappropriate and unacceptable,” Bates said. “I apologize on behalf of myself and my supporters for our involvement in this activity.”

“I think we all agree that campaigns must be about furthering the free exchange of ideas. Any effort to impede this free exchange is a great disservice to The Daily Californian and the people of Berkeley,” the mayor said.

-The Daily Californian (U. California- Berkeley)

GRE cheating causes arrest of Ivy students

(U-WIRE) ITHACA, N.Y. – Two Columbia University undergraduate students are under investigation following their arrest for allegedly using walkie-talkies and transmitters to cheat on the Nov. 18 Graduate Record Examination.

Columbia is waiting for more information on the criminal charges against seniors Bryan Laulicht and Sasha Bakhru, Columbia spokeswoman Eileen Murphy said. Murphy said no punishment will be given to the two students until Columbia gains more information about the case.

Contrary to earlier reports, the test took place at a Prometric test center in Garden City, N.Y., and not at a Sylvan Learning Center, said Steve Drake, vice president of communication for Sylvan Learning Systems.

The two seniors were arrested after a Prometric administrator became suspicious of one of the students. According to police officials in Nassau County, N.Y., one student took the test while using a device to transmit questions to the other student. The second student, situated in a van, proceeded to look up answers to send back to the test-taking student.

-Cornell Daily Sun (Cornell U.)

Researchers find link between gene, depression

(U-WIRE) PITTSBURGH – According to Dr. George Zubenko, major depression will affect 5 to 15 percent of Americans and is a leading cause of disabling disorders worldwide. Ten to 15 percent of those hospitalized for major depression commit suicide.
Though doctors have developed some treatments for the disorder, the recent discovery of a gene that may influence depression may help produce even more effective diagnosis methods and treatments, particularly for women, who are twice as likely to suffer from depression as men.
Researchers at the Molecular Neurobiology and Genetics Lab at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center have uncovered evidence linking the susceptibility gene known as CREB1 to unipolar mood disorders in women.
The National Institute of Mental Health sponsored this 15-year study, led by Zubenko, professor of psychiatry at Pitt’s medical school, and an adjunct professor of biological sciences at Carnegie Mellon University.

-The Pitt News (U. Pittsburgh)

Iowa State U. students want mural removed

(U-WIRE) AMES, Iowa – Eight female Iowa State University students say a mural painted in Willow Hall violates the university’s sexual harassment policy and the Department of Residence’s hall house sign policy. They are requesting its removal.

The mural, on the fifth floor of Willow Hall, depicts three men in army fatigues. One of the men has a scantily clad woman, with the word “tool” written on her forehead, under his arm. The name “Ellen,” later changed to “Emily,” is written near the woman. Another man is carrying a keg with the word “roofs” written on it.

The group sent a letter asking for the removal of the mural to Department of Residence Director Randy Alexander, Dean of Students Pete Englin and representatives of the Sloss House and Sexual Assault Response Team.

-Iowa State Daily (Iowa State U.)