SA Notes

Senate passes controversial pro-Israel legislation

The SA signed a resolution Tuesday night supporting a petition started by pro-Israel student organizations, calling for a “mutually beneficial relationship between the U.S. and Israel.” After a heated debate and discussion among senators, the resolution passed 9-7.

Representatives from the Student Alliance for Israel, the Israel Peace Project and presented the statement to the Senate.

Students opposing the resolution noted that the SA represents the entire student body, and if they make a resolution supporting Israel, they should make one supporting all countries.

Robinson delivers “State of the SA” address

In his “State of the SA” address Tuesday, SA President Phil Robinson spoke about goals for the upcoming semester, including creating a unified presidential and executive vice presidential ticket during elections and forming a constitutional convention to “examine our governing documents and the structure of the SA.”

Robinson also noted he supported Sen. Dan Moss’ (SBPM-U) legislation to create term limits for the Senate and the creation of a Senate ethics committee.

Woodward replaces Blackford as Rules Chair

In a widely anticipated move, senators elected Sen. Omar Woodard (ESIA-U) as chairmen of the Rules Committee, filling the vacancy created by J.P. Blackford’s resignation formally announced at Tuesday’s meeting.

Challenged only by Sen. Christina Trotta (CCAS-U), Woodard pledged his desire to formulate a legislative agenda for the coming semester and “let students know what the SA is doing on a regular basis.” The Elliot School senator also noted the Senate’s need to streamline its actions and make itself more “efficient.”

-T. Neil Sroka