Letter to the editor

Limited resources

In response to the column “Student Produced Programming Possible” (Nov. 25, p. 5) written by GW alumnus Steve Zarpas, I regret to say that Mr. Zarpas is entirely misinformed. Yes, we do have new state-of-the-art equipment to use in the Media and Public Affairs building, but that does not mean that we have the right to use it.

As electronic media students, we have the ability to take out cameras and other equipment GW has for a total of two hours during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, that is, if we are enrolled in any of a few specific production courses. This practice is in place because GW has minimal equipment that we can actually use. For example, while enrolled in a production class this summer, we could not find working microphone cables in the electronic media distribution. If we are not in the few production classes offered, we are treated like any other GW student and are not allowed to sign out equipment. And this from a program in which we a required to pay an extra $1,000 per year for use of this “state-of-the-art” equipment.

Furthermore, strict building hours and the many classes which take place in our television control room inhibit us from having much time to produce our own programming. In addition, there is a weekly news and information program produced by students in the television workshop class, which is shown on GW television on Tuesday evenings, broadcast from the SMPA building. Not many students watch this program because of the lack of publicity from GW or the SMPA itself. So Mr. Zarpas, please do not tell me that we do not use what we have “at our disposal.” We do what we can with the resources we have.

-Lauren Hillman
senior