Around Campus

Fire evacuates Thurston Hall residents

An estimated 1,000 students evacuated Thurston Hall at about 2 a.m. Wednesday after a fire alarm sounded throughout the building. Students were let back into the building after 45 minutes.

Smoke emanating from a microwave in a sixth floor room caused the alarm.

University Police urged students trying to seek refuge from the cold to go to Mitchell Hall and Old Main.

“This just goes to show you that you can’t sleep naked in Thurston,” freshman Zoe Clark said.

-Michael Barnett

Public Administration student recognized

The National Academy for Public Administration honored Thomas Bryer, a GW Master of Public Administration student, with its Herbert Roback Scholarship Award for the Best Public Administration Student of 2002 award last week.

The Herbert Roback Memorial Scholarship is a $7,500 prize presented annually to a graduate student who demonstrates qualities of a “public servant.”

Bryer founded and serves as executive director for Reform America, Inc., a company that works to develop the leadership skills of young Americans.

SBPM receives Microsoft grant

Accounting students will soon get an upgrade in business software equipment and services valued at $122,250 from the Microsoft Business Solutions Education Alliance Network program.

Microsoft donated gifts to enable the School of Business and Public Administration to provide business management software as a key component of its accounting courses, officials said.

Charity Ball looks to raise funds

The second Annual Charity Ball will be held Friday from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Proceeds from tickets go to the For The Love Of Children charity.

After the ball, the entire GW community is invited to an after-party at the Hippodrome for free bowling, billiards, food and performances by several GW student groups.

Tickets are available at Ticketmaster for $15.

Vibes strike chord with GW audience

The GW Vibes will hold its winter concert Saturday night. The a cappella group plans to feature songs by artists including The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Cranberries, Michael Jackson, U2 and The Beatles.

The event will take place from 8 to 11 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom.

GW’s all male a cappella group, Emocappella, will also perform.

Tickets are $3 and will be sold at the door.

Alum appointed as CNN White House correspondent

Dana Bash, a 1993 graduate of GW’s political communications program and producer of CNN’s Capitol Hill, is the network’s newest White House correspondent.

Bash has worked for CNN in several positions, including production assistant and her current role as Capitol Hill producer.

The “American Journalism Review” named her an “unsung hero” in a recent story on accomplished Washington-area journalists who mainly work behind the scenes.

-Blake A. Ehrlich

FPP performs “One Acts from Hell”
Forbidden Planet Productions will perform One Acts from Hell, two short plays titled “Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You” and “No Exit,” this weekend. Directed by Kristin David, the show will be in Lisner Downstage Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at noon. Tickets are $3.

-Kate Stepan