Around Campus

Students to perform in dance concert this weekend

The Theatre and Dance Department will hold the Danceworks Concert Thursday to Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theater.

Students will dance pieces by choreographers senior Daniela Wancier, faculty member Laurel Grey, guest artist Neil Greenberg, visiting student Tracy Marion, adjunct faculty Anthony Gongora and adjunct faculty member Tommy Parlon will be performed.

Works range from a performance in Islamic dance to an “arrangement in glass, sculpture and painting.”

The cost is $8 for all GW students and $10 general admission. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster.

-Julie Gordon

Deejays mix it up at Hippodrome

TBD Productions will host “Decknology 101,” a program that teaches students to use deejay equipment like turn tables and mixers Saturday night from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Hippodrome.

Local student deejays from the group known as EDMC will teach other students to spin records before its performance begins.

There will also be an emcee battle during the EDMC drum and bass set.

Sophomore Brian Goldberg, who organized the program, said if it is successful the event may become annual.

“This is happening on a Saturday night, but pretty early so people can come while they grab some dinner or before they go out for the night,” Goldberg said. “It’s something free coming to the Hippodrome that can be a learning experience to anyone who has ever wanted to learn how to use tables or even emcee.”

TBD Productions’ next event will be a concert at 2 p.m. on Nov. 30 in the Mitchell Hall lower level.

Raas Chaos, Los hijos del sol hit Lisner

The annual Dandia Rass and Garba Raas Intercollegiate Competition in dance will take place Saturday. Teams will perform Indian dances, which combine traditional styles with new moves including acrobatics and fusion-style steps.

The event, sponsored by the South Asian Society, will take place in Lisner Auditorium from 7 to 10 p.m.

From 8 to 11 p.m. Friday the 20-piece band Los Hijos Del Sol will perform in Lisner Auditorium.

Featuring Alex Acuna and Eva Ayllon, listeners can hear traditional Incan tunes. The band will also highlight music from regions of Peru where African roots combined with a historical Spanish presence.

Student tickets are available for $20. Reservations can be made at the Lisner Auditorium box office, Ticketmaster and PhoneCharge.

Students celebrate Thanksgiving a week early

The Caribbean Students Association invites students to celebrate and give thanks with them at its sixth annual Thanksgiving dinner a week early.

The event will take place in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom from

7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Thursday. Caribbean food will be served and cost is $3 for members and $5 for non-members. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster.

A cappella groups perform this weekend

Two a cappella groups, the all-male Emocapella and the all-female GW Pitches will both hold concerts Saturday night.

Emocapella will hold its free performance in the Marvin Center third floor amphitheater from 9:30 to 10:30 p.m.

The group performs punk rock and “emo-style” songs, with influences from bands like Jimmy Eat World and Saves the Day to hip hop artist Biz Markie.

The Pitches will perform from 7:30 to 9 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom, featuring two singing groups from Johns Hopkins University.

Cost for the Pitches concert is $3 for GW students with a GWorld card and $5 for others.

-Blake A. Ehrlich